Why do religious ones stick with delusions?

Why do religious ones stick with delusions?

Spirituality

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Jun 11

Originally posted by lausey
If I agreed that there will be a possibility that I would get the opportunity to live everlasting in bliss, then I will be all for it. I will then work damn hard to achieve this.

Pascal's Wager does not cut it for me though.

EDIT: Although I wasn't arguing that Rajk999 is a cop out because of which is the easier path to take, he is a cop out because he ...[text shortened]... is right. By then it will be too late to argue my point. It is an easy way to end the debate.
Even if all the goings-on in the bible were true, I don't think I'd want to spend all eternity with a god who is such a dick.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
09 Jun 11

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b]I dont understand what difference it makes before or after his death.

I was clarifying what I meant.

It refers to baptism by water. Baptism is a rebirth in water. Its what baptism means.

Maybe you missed the quote from Mark 1, but John the Baptist states that Jesus was to baptize by the Holy Spirit - not by water. So clearly John t ...[text shortened]... wer to your last question - literally[/b]

Where did Jesus state that He meant it literally?[/b]
Back up a bit. You asked :

What leads you to believe that Jesus taught that one must be baptized?

Then I quoted Mark 16:16 ..He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Those are the words of Christ, and they are clear enough for me. Lets leave it like that.

T

Moves
09 Jun 11

Originally posted by Rajk999
Back up a bit. You asked :

What leads you to believe that Jesus taught that one must be baptized?

Then I quoted Mark 16:16 ..He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Those are the words of Christ, and they are clear enough for me. Lets leave it like that.
And once again, in Mark 1:8 John the Baptist said that Jesus was to baptize with the Holy Spirit - not water. Why would you take Mark 16:16 to mean water when clearly Jesus was to baptize with the Holy Spirit?

This wouldn't be the first time that I've seen a Christian afraid to place his beliefs under the light of truth.

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Jun 11

For example ??
No examples. It's just my opinion and I don't have examples on hand. Some of the Eastern religions, like Buddhism or Confucianism, are less religion and more philosophy compared with Western religions. Still, I'm no follower of any of 'em.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
09 Jun 11

And once again, in Mark 1:8 John the Baptist said that Jesus was to baptize with the Holy Spirit - not water. Why would you take Mark 16:16 to mean water when clearly Jesus was to baptize with the Holy Spirit?

This wouldn't be the first time that I've seen a Christian afraid to place his beliefs under the light of truth.
Jesus is not baptising anyone in Mark 16:16. He is commanding his followers to believe and be baptised.

I already told you that John the Baptist was referring to Jesus giving the power of the holy spirit to the 70 disciples who he sent out to preach. They were baptised with the holy spirit and thereafer had the power of the holy spirit.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
09 Jun 11

Originally posted by Soothfast
No examples. It's just my opinion and I don't have examples on hand. Some of the Eastern religions, like Buddhism or Confucianism, are less religion and more philosophy compared with Western religions. Still, I'm no follower of any of 'em.
So you were wrong to state that Eastern religions were superior to Christianity in that regard then?

T

Moves
09 Jun 11
1 edit

Jesus is not baptising anyone in Mark 16:16. He is commanding his followers to believe and be baptised.

I already told you that John the Baptist was referring to Jesus giving the power of the holy spirit to the 70 disciples who he sent out to preach. They were baptised with the holy spirit and thereafer had the power of the holy spirit.
Mark 1
5And all the country of Judea was going out to him, and all the people of Jerusalem; and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins. 6John was clothed with camel’s hair and wore a leather belt around his waist, and his diet was locusts and wild honey. 7And he was preaching, and saying, “After me One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to stoop down and untie the thong of His sandals. 8“I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.

So when John the Baptist was baptizing these people from Judea and telling THEM that Jesus would baptize THEM with the Holy Spirit - he was really referring to a future time where "Jesus [would give] the power of the power of the Holy Spirit to the 70 disciples" and didn't really mean THEM?

Please explain exactly how you derived that. How were these people from Judea supposed to understand that?

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Jun 11

So you were wrong to state that Eastern religions were superior to Christianity in that regard then?
Eh? The possibility of being wrong about something always exists; however, I do think Eastern religions, in general, tend to be closer to "what it's all about" than Christianity. An opinion, of course.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Jun 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
You do not understand Christianity if you think we must believe
anything a priest or pastor says about Christianity. We believe in
the truth from God, especially from the words of Jesus, the Christ
and the Son of God. We are still learning because God the Father
has sent the Holy Spirit to teach us more and guide us unto all
truth. So what we believe as young Christians can change as we
learn new truths from the Holy Spirit.
So you think everything in the bible projected to have come from Jesus actually came from Jesus? There is evidence some of the books of the bible added stuff never said by the man.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Jun 11

What specifically are you alluding to here?
http://www.bibleinterp.com/opeds/never357928.shtml

Take a read of this.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jun 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
So you think everything in the bible projected to have come from Jesus actually came from Jesus? There is evidence some of the books of the bible added stuff never said by the man.
So you say.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jun 11

Take a read of this.
I suspect this man does not like some of the things Jesus said
and is disputing these sayings with speculations and no proof.
Claiming to be doing some type of analysis, he claims to be
near fool proof. But he is the fool claiming to be wise in his
own eyes.

rc

Moves
09 Jun 11

Originally posted by Soothfast
No! Those don't cut it, and people are always trotting those out! It's all: "The Lord will tell you what to think," along with enumerations of rules and commandments you are to employ to determine right from wrong. That is, it's all still placed within the rigid framework of a body of dogma that is to be swallowed without critical thought. Eastern rel ...[text shortened]... hers or fear of punishment from the Father, blessed be he in the eyes of the Lord."
whether you think they cut it or not is neither here nor there, mere unsubstantiated opinion. You have uttered a gross inaccuracy and it has been proven to be false, you have FAILED to answer how a person could engage their powers of discernment and not have recourse to reason, after all, the very act of discerning involves the mind and reason, you have FAILED to state how wisdom (the application of knowledge) may be employed without engaging the faculty of reason, you have FAILED in your meagre and pitiful attempts to discredit the sacred text, all in all, its a rather pathetic attempt and deviod of substance other than youre uninformed and ignorant opinion, as the cited scriptures clearly indicate. Me thinketh your text stinketh! Opps i am not supposed to think, sorry for that, i was forgetting myself there.

T

Moves
09 Jun 11

Take a read of this.
Where's the analysis? There didn't seem to be any on that page.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Jun 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
whether you think they cut it or not is neither here nor there, mere unsubstantiated opinion. You have uttered a gross inaccuracy and it has been proven to be false, you have FAILED to answer how a person could engage their powers of discernment and not have recourse to reason, after all, the very act of discerning involves the mind and reason, you h ...[text shortened]... r text stinketh! Opps i am not supposed to think, sorry for that, i was forgetting myself there.
I have a book here for you Rob, would you like to apply your powers of reason on this text?!

Now are you going to 'walk the walk' or are you just 'talking the talk'?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.