JW Question

JW Question

Spirituality

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
we did not write the Bible, does Paul make the correlation between sacrifice and evangelism or does he not.?
I am not talking about what someone called Paul wrote. You know what the text says as well as I do. I am saying it is an unimpressive and disappointing spiritual mindset that equates doing voluntary work with sacrifice. Your religionist literature merely explains your mindset. It does not justify your mindset to me.

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

does Paul make the correlation or does he not?
Of what relevance is this to me? I am not making any claims about what Paul said or didn't say. As I said above: your religionist literature simply explains your mindset. It does not justify your mindset to me.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I am not talking about what someone called Paul wrote. You know what the text says as well as I do. I am saying it is an unimpressive and disappointing spiritual mindset that equates doing voluntary work with sacrifice. Your religionist literature merely explains your mindset. It does not justify your mindset to me.
regardless of whether you think it appropriate, disappointing, framed, religionist, a
poor reflection or anything else does Paul make the correlation between sacrifice and
evangelism or does he not, your aversion to answering FMF is now bordering on
paranoia.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
Of what relevance is this to me? I am not making any claims about what Paul said or didn't say. As I said above: your religionist literature simply explains your mindset. It does not justify your mindset to me.
if it is nothing to you then why dont you simply answer it?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

i do think its beneficial, but not as beneficial as Godly devotion as i have attempted to illustrate.
Why can you not have said that to start with? Instead we go on this merry goose chase for an hour before you finally cough it up?!

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Why can you not have said that to srart with? Instead we go on this merry goose chase for an hour before you finally cough it up?!
cough it up, my man, i was with you all the way.

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

regardless of whether you think it appropriate, disappointing, framed, religionist, a
poor reflection or anything else does Paul make the correlation between sacrifice and
evangelism or does he not, your evasion to answering FMF is now bordering on
paranoia.
Well, whether you like it or not, the fact that I find it disappointing, is the point I am making, robbie. What Paul wrote has no meaning for me. I will judge you on what claims you make about your own motivations for your actions. Your religionist literature makes a correlation between sacrifice and voluntary work: poor show I say. What an alienating perspective on spirituality that is, I say.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Well, whether you like it or not, the fact that I find it disappointing, is the point I am making, robbie. What Paul wrote has no meaning for me. I will judge you on what claims you make about your own motivations for your actions. Your religionist literature makes a correlation between sacrifice and voluntary work: poor show I say. What an alienating perspective on spirituality that is, I say.
Your religionist literature makes a correlation between sacrifice and voluntary work

my religionist literature, ummm, i didn't write the Bible FMF, but i take this as an
admission, that yes indeed a Christians evangelising is in a sense the equivalent of a
sacrifice, not the question is, in what sense?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Dec 11

cough it up, my man, i was with you all the way.
What? You've spent the last hour telling me why exercise benefits no one apart from the person carrying it out?!

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

my religionist literature, ummm, i didn't write the Bible FMF,
The fact that you did not write the Bible does not rate as an excuse for your conscious and self-regarding cheapening of voluntary work in my book. Paul is not here to argue your corner for you. If all you've got, when it comes right down to it, is that you read it in a book, then that is simply going to mean pretty much nothing to people who are nonplussed by your book.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
What? You've spent the last hour telling me why exercise benefits no one apart from the person carrying it out?!
huh? my argument was not against exercise but whether imposing it upon the populace
was workable.

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

my religionist literature, ummm, i didn't write the Bible FMF, but i take this as an
admission, that yes indeed a Christians evangelising is in a sense the equivalent of a
sacrifice, not the question is, in what sense?
If you came to the door of an NGO that I was running and said you want to do voluntary work because you want to make the "equivalent of a blood sacrifice", I would turn you away. There are plenty of spiritual people out there who do not perceive common decency and moral actions in terms of some degree of personal "sacrifice". I wouldn't need the extraordinary convoluted philosophical baggage you would be bringing to my organisation.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
The fact that you did not write the Bible does not rate as an excuse for your conscious and self-regarding cheapening of voluntary work in my book. Paul is not here to argue your corner for you. If all you've got, when it comes right down to it, is that you read it in a book, then that is simply going to mean pretty much nothing to people who are nonplussed by your book.
Its not an excuse of anything FMF, it is a fact of Christianity that Paul equates
evangelising with sacrifice, whether you find that cheapening or anything else is your
business. Now you will explain in what sense is evangelism linked to sacrifice.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
If you came to the door of an NGO that I was running and said you want to do voluntary work because you want to make the "equivalent of a blood sacrifice", I would turn you away. There are plenty of spiritual people out there who do not perceive common decency and moral actions in terms of some degree of personal "sacrifice". I wouldn't need the extraordinary convoluted philosophical baggage you would be bringing to my organisation.
in what sense is evangelism linked to sacrifice FMF, you dont seem to know or have
yet, not explained in what sense it is linked, have you.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

huh? my argument was not against exercise but whether imposing it upon the populace
was workable.
You're arguing against your own argument. This is what you said on page 25 -

going to the gym benefits no one but yourself

I never claimed that my scenario was 'workable', those were your words not mine. Iwas shwoing you how your statement was wrong.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.