JW Question

JW Question

Spirituality

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
what if all those persons engaged in a public ministry, they would not only be getting
fit, walking from door to door but would be helping others overcome all sorts of
problems, for free! no gym fees, nuthin!

(1 Timothy 4:8) . . .For bodily training is beneficial for a little; but godly devotion is
beneficial for all things,. . .
I'm not really sure what has do with anything?! You claimed going to the gym benefits no one but myself, i showed you how that was incorrect.

Just as a sidenote, the majority of people have a bad back as a result of anterior pelvic tilt. Specific movement patterns need to be addressed and corrected to fix that issue, walking alone won't cut tit. When i said GPP, i don't just mean going to the gym and acting like a hamster for 45mins, i mean adressing peoples movemnet patterns and fixing aches and pains.

Anyway i'll be back on track next post.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
People will be able to tell - or not tell - from the many statements I have made about it on this thread.

[b]are you saying that its not the equivalent, oh really, then perhaps you might explain the import of Paul's words...

So Paul's words about "sacrifice" are important, and yet they are also - as you said "neither here nor there", and - as you said ore years as a voluntary worker I cannot say that the thought has ever crossed my mind."[/b]
again you seem to having some trouble understanding the question that was put to
you, i will reiterate it again, for you have once again either failed to comprehend
it, or is more likely given your aversion to answering anything, wish to evade
committing yourself for reasons known only to you,

are you saying that Paul makes no correlation between evangelising and sacrifice, if
so, how would you explain this text

(Hebrews 13:15) Through him let us always offer to God a sacrifice of praise, that is,
the fruit of lips which make public declaration to his name

as for my statements, it easy to see that given that our primary motivation is to help
people the fact that it is also in a spiritual sense a sacrifice is neither here nor
there, that is its not of prime importance , now reiterated for the second time.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I'm not really sure what has do with anything?! You claimed going to the gym benefits no one but myself, i showed you how that was incorrect.

Just as a sidenote, the majority of people have a bad back as a result of anterior pelvic tilt. Specific movement patterns need to be addressed and corrected to fix that issue, walking alone won't cut tit. When les movemnet patterns and fixing aches and pains.

Anyway i'll be back on track next post.
no you outlined a rather unworkable premise, i wont call it a dream, but never
the less, unless you can make people go to gym under compulsion, its rather
unworkable in practice.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Dec 11

no you outlined a rather unworkable premise, i wont call it a dream, but never
the less, unless you can make people go to gym under compulsion, its rather
unworkable in practice.
I outlined why my going to the gym is just not for my benefit. As for 'unworkable in practice', this is a bit rich coming from the man who witters on about society adopting 'Biblical principles'. I never said it was workable in practice anyhow your making claims up.

My going to the gym is not just for my benefit, it is for societies also.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

I outlined why my going to the gym is just not for my benefit. As for 'unworkable in practice', this is a bit rich coming from the man who witters on about society adopting 'Biblical principles'. I never said it was workable in practice anyhow your making claims up.

My going to the gym is not just for my benefit, it is for societies also.
you could claim anything along those lines, my smoking weed is not for my benefit, its
for society's, after all, if everyone smoked weed instead of drinking alcohol there
would be reduced policing costs at football matches because everyone would be too
stoned to fight. Really PK, really! this would benefit hospitals and hot dog sellers
because of a reduction in violence and an increase in the munchies.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Dec 11

you could claim anything along those lines, my smoking weed is not for my benefit, its
for society's, after all, if everyone smoked weed instead of drinking alcohol there
would be reduced policing costs at football matches because everyone would be too
stoned to fight. Really PK, really! this would benefit hospitals and hot dog sellers
because of a reduction in violence and an increase in the munchies.
Rob, this is really simple. Exercise is healthy (surely you don't deny that?), being fit and healthy vastly reduces the chance of me devloping any conditions/diseases associated with being overweight/unhealthy, therefore the financial burden i place on society as a result of me being fit/healthy is diminished. It's not just for my benefit..

As for your analogy it fails because smoking weed is illegal whereas exercising isn't.

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

again you seem to having some trouble understanding the question that was put to
you, i will reiterate it again, for you have once again either failed to comprehend
it, or is more likely given your aversion to answering anything, wish to evade
committing yourself for reasons known only to you,

are you saying that Paul makes no correlation b ...[text shortened]... ther here nor
there, that is its not of prime importance , now reiterated for the second time.
Like I said, it reflects poorly on Christian religionists if they see merely doing a pretty normal decent thing for their fellow citizens, like voluntary work for instance, as "equivalent to blood sacrifice". Personally I think it's more spiritually healthy to just do it because it's the right thing to do, rather than to frame it in terms of some sort of personal "sacrifice".

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Rob, this is really simple. Exercise is healthy (surely you don't deny that?), being fit and healthy vastly reduces the chance of me devloping any conditions/diseases associated with being overweight/unhealthy, therefore the financial burden i place on society as a result of me being fit/healthy is diminished. It's not just for my benefit..

As for your analogy it fails because smoking weed is illegal whereas exercising isn't.
Pk. Pk. come in, have a seat, coffee, tea, energy drink? If i do not smoke cigarettes,
which i dont, I am contributing to society by reducing the risk of all sorts of diseases
associated with the inhalation of cigarettes, is it not the case? As far as i can
personally go, this is my contribution, however, if i then turn someone else from
smoking cigarettes through the application of Biblical principles, for clearly smoking is
a defilement of the flesh and condemned in scripture in principle, i have increased my
contribution, two fold, if then my now smoke free friend does the same thing to
someone suffering from alcohol abuse, we have saved the chancellor of the exchequer,
triple what a single person could achieve on their own, thus, the statement is sound,
Bodily training is beneficial for a little, Godly devotion beneficial for all things, is it not the case?

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
Like I said, it reflects poorly on Christian religionists if they see merely doing a pretty normal decent thing for their fellow citizens, like voluntary work for instance, as "equivalent to blood sacrifice". Personally I think it's more spiritually healthy to just do it because it's the right thing to do, rather than to frame it in terms of some sort of personal "sacrifice".
does Paul make the correlation or does he not? so helping persons overcome all
manner of ills is a poor reflection on Christians, I see.

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

given that our primary motivation is to help people the fact that it is also in a spiritual sense a sacrifice is neither here nor there, that is its not of prime importance , now reiterated for the second time.
If the Bible is saying that JWs doing voluntary work is "the equivalent of blood sacrifice" then that is a very unimpressive and alienating perspective. Maybe it is some sort of religionist self-image thing. I don't see voluntary work as a "sacrifice" at all, not in terms of time or effort, nor in spiritual terms.

So you're saying Paul's correlation of the two is "neither here nor there"?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

Pk. Pk. come in, have a seat, coffee, tea, energy drink? If i do not smoke cigarettes,
which i dont, I am contributing to society by reducing the risk of all sorts of diseases
associated with the inhalation of cigarettes, is it not the case? As far as i can
personally go, this is my contribution, however, if i then turn someone else from
sm ...[text shortened]... aining is beneficial for a little, Godly devotion beneficial for all things, is it not the case?
What's that got to do with anything? We're talking about, and have been for the last few posts, why exercise is beneficial for society and not just for the person exercising. Or more specifically why you don't accept that premise.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
If the Bible is saying that JWs doing voluntary work is "the equivalent of blood sacrifice" then that is a very unimpressive and alienating perspective. Maybe it is some sort of religionist self-image thing. I don't see voluntary work as a "sacrifice" at all, not in terms of time or effort, nor in spiritual terms.

So you're saying Paul's correlation of the two is "neither here nor there"?
we did not write the Bible, does Paul make the correlation between sacrifice and evangelism or does he not.?

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

does Paul make the correlation or does he not? so helping persons overcome all
manner of ills is a poor reflection on Christians, I see.
No I am saying that framing this helping of others in terms of it being a personal sacrifice by the helper is what strikes me as being a poor reflection on Christians who buy into it.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

What's that got to do with anything? We're talking about, and have been for the last few posts, why exercise is beneficial for society and not just for the person exercising. Or more specifically why you don't accept that premise.
i do think its beneficial, but not as beneficial as Godly devotion as i have attempted to illustrate.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
No I am saying that framing this helping of others in terms of it being a personal sacrifice by the helper is what strikes me as being a poor reflection on Christians who buy into it.
does Paul make the correlation or does he not?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.