JW Question

Spirituality

F

Moves
09 Dec 11
93 edits

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
[...]if you think its dogmatic and vain to think of helping others
through acts of personal self sacrifice then that's your problem, not mine.
I enthusiastically endorse helping others, robbie, as I have said over and over and over again. But if you think helping others is "the equivalent of a blood sacrifice" then I cannot endorse such a vain and negative type of spirituality. But, as you say, "I did not write that text FMF, it is not a product of my mind..." I suppose that means - like you said earlier - "it's neither here nor there".

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
I enthusiastically endorse helping others, robbie, as I have said over and over and over again. But if you think helping others is "the equivalent of a blood sacrifice" then I cannot endorse such a vain and negative type of spirituality. But, as you say, "I did not write that text FMF, it is not a product of my mind..." I suppose that means - like you said earlier - "it's neither here nor there".
It means FMF that i dont have a problem with the metaphorical use of the term
sacrifice.

F

Moves
09 Dec 11
2 edits

It means FMF that i dont have a problem with the metaphorical use of the term
sacrifice.
The idea that you see helping others as the equivalent of carrying out a blood sacrifice is a non-starter for me, spiritually speaking, regardless of whether someone called "Paul" said it, and regardless of whether you use the word "metaphorical".

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
The idea that you see helping others as the equivalent of carrying out a blood sacrifice is a non-starter for me, spiritually speaking, regardless of whether someone called "Paul" said it, and regardless of whether you use the word "metaphorical".
I dont have a problem with it myself, the Bible uses countless metaphors.

F

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

I dont have a problem with it myself, the Bible uses countless metaphors.
Well "carrying out a blood sacrifice" as metaphor relating to helping disadvantaged people is about as creepy as "spirituality" gets as far as I am concerned. That you have no problem with it, is perhaps a testament to the degree to which you have internalized the dogma that you subscribe to. And if telling disadvantaged people that you helping them is equivalent to carrying out a blood sacrifice (because someone called "Paul" told you so), is part of the actual evangelical work you do on the ground, then it is just one more thing that I can say I am not impressed with.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11
1 edit

No its a testament to the fact that i dont have a problem with Biblical metaphors, anything to the contrary is ludicrous.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
The blood sacrifice is the greatest love and help that can be given. Although
helping someone is not equivalent to the blood sacrifice, it demonstrates
an aspect of the blood sacrifice that Christ gave to all men.

F

Moves
09 Dec 11

No its a testament to the fact that i dont have a problem with Biblical metaphors, anything to the contrary is ludicrous.
What you call the "metaphor", which we are discussing, is one that alludes clearly to self-regard and vanity on the part of the helper, and about 80% of your posts - up until when you suddenly started using the word "metaphor" repeatedly - clearly demonstrate that you thought me questioning the alleged "blood sacrifice" equivalency was somehow a slight on your philanthropy. You seem to have a distinct problem with Biblical metaphors when people tell you they are unimpressed with them.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 Dec 11

the reason i never went initially was that i could not walk, plus i thought, what can
someone do for your back anyway? what works for one person might not necessarily
work for another. Its not so bad now but it has taken almost a year to subside,
inactivity is the worst, If i dont do anything, it kind of stiffens up.
Rob, we live on the 21st century now, medicine and treatment has moved on. If your in pain and it's impacting on your quality of life go see your GP and get a referral to se a physio.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
What you call the "metaphor", which we are discussing, is one that alludes clearly to self-regard and vanity on the part of the helper, and about 80% of your posts - up until when you suddenly started using the word "metaphor" repeatedly - clearly demonstrate that you thought me questioning the alleged "blood sacrifice" equivalency was somehow a slight on your p ...[text shortened]... tinct problem with Biblical metaphors when people tell you they are unimpressed with them.
What you call the "metaphor", which we are discussing, is one that alludes clearly to
self-regard and vanity,

only in your mind FMF, i have no problem with it, but then again, i have not attempted
to attribute to others terms like self regard and vanity on a basis of its interpretation,
have I.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Rob, we live on the 21st century now, medicine and treatment has moved on. If your in pain and it's impacting on your quality of life go see your GP and get a referral to se a physio.
Good advise. For if I had not went into the emergency when I did,
you would have missed out on knowing me and my Christian viewpoint.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
It was at the time, but its ok now, for ages i had pain not only in my back but right
down my left leg! One of my customers who had similar problems gave me a portfolio
of exercises to try, they were fine but i found that swimming was the best, sauna was
good for taking away the pain, but it never cured it.

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Good advise. For if I had not went into the emergency when I did,
you would have missed out on knowing me and my Christian viewpoint.
missed? you mean like a hole in the head missed!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Dec 11

missed? you mean like a hole in the head missed!
Whatever. 🙄

rc

Moves
09 Dec 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Whatever. 🙄
why what happened to you RJH, crack cocaine? yeah you gotta watch out for those
meta-amphetamines, bust you up man, real good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.