The Moon and Design

The Moon and Design

Science

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17

Science was a branch of philosophy, but it flew the nest. It is its own thing now. So much so that there is now a philosophy of science! This is where the parents visit their grandchildren, and give advice.

h

Moves
16 Jun 17

twhitehead

While I believe there is a general agreement of what the word 'science' means that is adequate and not-TOO-vague i.e. clear-enough (but I personally still think not perfectly so. Incidentally, I intend to remedy that in my book by perhaps seemingly intuitively surprisingly giving a precise mathematical definition of it! Cannot make it any more clear than that! ), there is no general agreement (at least none I am aware of) for the exact unambiguous definition of philosophy and thus, regardless of the wiki definitions, the distinction (or lack of) between science and philosophy is debatable. See;

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-science-and-philosophy

-I don't necessarily agree with all that link says about it but the point I am making here is that that is just one example (out of many) of a link implying the distinction (or lack of) between the two is not clear but 'complicated' (if that is the right word) because of the general disagreements of EXACTLY what is philosophy.

Sometimes the said "philosophy" is all about ideas of what is moral; surely at least that so-called "philosophy" isn't science, right?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
So how should I politely say that all three statements you made above with regards to philosophy are outright wrong?
Philosophers DID think atoms were indivisible. I bet the other two were fine enough as well.

You don't play well with others, tw.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Jun 17

Originally posted by apathist
Philosophers DID think atoms were indivisible.
Name one such philosopher.

You don't play well with others, tw.
I don't play well with people that lie about me repeatedly. I find such behaviour despicable.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17
1 edit

Name one such philosopher.
Leucippus
Democritus

Atom means indivisible. You knew this, right? Why do you play these games, tw.

I don't play well with people that lie about me repeatedly. I find such behaviour despicable.
Define 'lie'. You keep charging that, and never with justification. Frankly by this point if I upset you woah! I'm on the right path.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Jun 17

Originally posted by humy
Cannot make it any more clear than that! ), there is no general agreement (at least none I am aware of) for the exact unambiguous definition of philosophy and thus, regardless of the wiki definitions, the distinction (or lack of) between science and philosophy is debatable.
I agree. The word is used with a wide range of meaning depending on context. Nevertheless, I think it perfectly reasonable to use it in a fairly general way to refer to all areas of study with science being a subset.
In universities, I believe you will find some explicitly labelled 'philosophy' courses dealing with logic, others dealing with morality and still others dealing with politics.
The famous historical figures that are known as philosophers, or those that called themselves philosophers tended to have a wide range of interests and and believe all fields were open for study.
I realise that some posters here have the image of a mad man living in a cave musing about 'atoms' but they are outright wrong.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17

I agree. The word is used with a wide range of meaning depending on context. ...
So your fuss was without purpose nor aim. Unless you wanted to derail?

Cape Town

Moves
16 Jun 17

Leucippus
Democritus
And when was the atom discovered?

Atom means indivisible. You knew this, right?
Of course I knew that.

Why do you play these games, tw.
Why do you jump into a conversation, fail to read the relevant posts then make a fool of yourself?
Seriously, go back and read the last few posts carefully before proceeding.

Define 'lie'.
Saying something you know to be false with intent to deceive.

You keep charging that, and never with justification.
I always justify the charge and you always move on without explanation or apology confirming the charge.
I obviously can't prove beyond all doubt that you knew something was false before you said it, but when you act like you are deaf when its pointed out that its false, then it is pretty clear that you knew it all along.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17

Originally posted by twhitehead...
Saying something you know to be false with intent to deceive...
I'm a bit surprised . You are willing to claim psychic ability!

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17

I always justify the charge and you always move on without explanation or apology confirming the charge....
You have never justified the charge. Not against me, anyway.

You have never even attempted. It's just a thing that you spout.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17

Derail, complete. Our local math wizard needs tricks.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Jun 17

You have never justified the charge. Not against me, anyway.

You have never even attempted. It's just a thing that you spout.
Pick any instance in which I called you a liar and lets go through it step by step. Be prepared to admit that you lied or have a damn good explanation.
If you run away, I will consider the case proven.

Cape Town

Moves
16 Jun 17

Derail, complete. Our local math wizard needs tricks.
Don't know when the atom was discovered do you? Didn't think so.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17

Don't know when the atom was discovered do you? Didn't think so.
Asked and answered! The height of reasonableness!

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
16 Jun 17

Pick any instance in which I called you a liar and lets go through it step by step. Be prepared to admit that you lied or have a damn good explanation.
If you run away, I will consider the case proven.
Derail beyond complete. Irrelevant, but I wonder why you are afraid of honest discourse on subjects you haven't mastered. You are just weird, making me look normal. And I am not normal.

Pick one of your many accusations, any one. Make your case. You already lost that case once.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.