The Moon and Design

The Moon and Design

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
04 Jun 17

Originally posted by apathist
Wtf is 'true randomness'? No cause?
a said 'cause' could be a law of physics that says the probabilities of an outcome although that might be an abuse of the word 'cause' so I decided not to risk confusing you with that.
I have now 3 times thoroughly explained the meaning of 'true randomness' to you.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
04 Jun 17

Originally posted by humy...
It is a very common widely propagated myth among laypeople and , shamefully, even among many scientists, that quantum physics says 'true' randomness exists; ( 'true' randomness specifically as opposed to pseudo-randomness; I will clarify the meaning of that on request ) it says nothing of the sort and true randomness is just a purely metaphysical interpretatio ...[text shortened]... o be confused with the quantum physics itself and its equations that says nothing on that matter....
Probabilistic, as I thought.Not to be confused with 'random'. Toss the dice and they never cone up rabbits.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Jun 17

Probabilistic, as I thought.Not to be confused with 'random'. Toss the dice and they never cone up rabbits.
The confusion is clearly all yours.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
04 Jun 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
The confusion is clearly all yours.
Yes. I was drinking. Everything made sense for a while.

h

Moves
04 Jun 17
5 edits

apathist

Earlier I was reluctant to say any connection between 'cause' and 'determinism' and 'causeless' and 'random' in fear this will just confuse you via what is called equivocation (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivocation ) of the subtly different meanings of the word 'cause'. But that tactic backfired because you equivocated the different meanings anyway. So now instead I explain this;

There are two main subtly different meanings of the word 'cause' commonly used in everyday English although I assert only one should ever be used and the other always rejected.

Firstly, there is what I call proper-cause where the prefix 'proper-' is there because I assert that is really the only meaning we should reserve for the word 'cause'. Proper-cause means the occurrence of one event or arrangement earlier in time naturally resulting (as a result of natural law) in the occurrence of another event or arrangement later in time and is such that if all else was kept equal but the earlier event was prevented then the later event wouldn't have or will not occur (the latter part of that statement there is important to state there to make the distinction between correlation and causation else there is the risk of equivocating thus confusing the two).

Then there is the much more looser and generic meaning of the word cause that I call explanation-cause, which means simply an explanation for something. I assert that the explanation-cause meaning of the word 'cause' readily causes misunderstanding and thus should never be used and we should just say "explanation" instead whenever that is the actual intended meaning.

There is also what I call correleation-cause, which is a specialized form of explanation-cause, which I also assert should never be used because it means the explanation in the form of a said correlation, and that tends to readily causes confusion by equivocating correlation with true causation.

To demonstrate the possible confusion via examples of equivocation between these different meanings of the word 'cause';

If someone asked "what causes night to be followed by day?" and you answered "night is always followed by day" thus implying that is the 'cause' of night, the kind of 'cause' you are explaining there is correleation-cause, not to be confused with proper-cause. I assert night is not caused by day even though it is always followed by day (thus correlated with day). But there I am using the proper-cause meaning of the word 'cause', not the explanation-cause meaning.

If someone asked "what causes quantum randomness?" and you answered "the law of physics" thus implying the law of physics 'causes' particular 'random' outcomes, the problem with that is that this is explanation-cause, not proper-cause, for the law of physics is not an event or arrangement that is such that it 'coming into existence' or it 'occurring' at some earlier point in time is what naturally results in a particular 'random' outcome being whatever it is at some specific later point in time thus this isn't a proper-cause but rather merely an explanation i.e. this is explanation-cause. If we are talking here about proper-cause, a 'truly' random (as opposed to pseudo-random) event can only be correctly to be said to be 'causeless'.

Incidentally; I will explain all the above (along with all my research findings) in my book that I plan to arrange to get published in about a years time (I said that in the middle of last year; got that estimate wildly wrong)

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
04 Jun 17

Originally posted by humy
humy you are a thnker i kinda did not intend to meet such i am not going away so batten the hatches and stuff like that.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by chaney3
Really?

Science can fully explain the brain?

Science can explain dark matter?
In other words, since science is a human endevour, and we actually don't know every detail of the universe, therefore nothing learned using science is valid? For instance, if solar eclipses were perfect, there would never be annular eclipses, which are not total but have a ring of bright light around the moon. And the orbit of the moon would not be off by several degrees from Earth and every eclipse would be total. None of that happens.

But since science can't explain brains, or dark matter, that allows you to dis all science.

Interesting. From one POV anyway.

You do realize science is still in kindergarten right? Only a few hundred years old, say 5 or 6 lifetimes of active science. And how many years have humans been around?

So don't be so harsh on science. Right now, in a large part due to the presence of the internet, science is advancing at logrithmic rates, explosive growth of all the sciences.

So come back in another 200 years and say the same about science, see what that gets you.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
06 Jun 17

Originally posted by chaney3
The moon is in a perfect orbit of the earth with regards to its position.

The moon is not only the perfect size, but the perfect distance from the sun, to produce a perfect eclipse.

The odds of this being an accident of the universe are likely to be beyond calculation.

The size and postion of the moon and sun, relative to earth equals......Design.
I love pratchett

and he fuking died kinda mad at him right now

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
06 Jun 17

apathist
I was thinking you put thought into this. But it was about a book. Self-flagellating.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
06 Jun 17

Originally posted by sonhouse
In other words, since science is a human endevour, and we actually don't know every detail of the universe, therefore nothing learned using science is valid? For instance, if solar eclipses were perfect, there would never be annular eclipses, which are not total but have a ring of bright light around the moon. And the orbit of the moon would not be off by s ...[text shortened]... es.

So come back in another 200 years and say the same about science, see what that gets you.
you ever think you over-think.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jun 17

I'm not the one claiming solar eclipses are designed by a deity.

h

Moves
08 Jun 17
3 edits

Whether you can over-think depends on whether you think rationally.
For those that think rationally, over-thinking is a self-contradiction thus there isn't such thing as over-thinking .
For those that don't, any thinking they do is over-thinking even if they don't know it.

K

Germany

Moves
08 Jun 17

I understand that your camp [b]wishes there were hidden variables involved in quantum behavior.[/b]
I think you misunderstand the concept of hidden variables. A system can be deterministic without having hidden variables determining e.g. position or momentum. An example from elementary quantum mechanics is a non-interacting particle in a box.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
09 Jun 17

apathist
I appreciate that you've put thought into this. So have I. I am not a reductionist, and for good reason. I am not a determinist, and for good reason. Are these deal-breakers?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
09 Jun 17

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
i think you misunderstand the concept of hidden variables. A system can be deterministic without having hidden variables determining e.g. position or momentum. An example from elementary quantum mechanics is a non-interacting particle in a box.
But when hidden variables are required to rescue your system.