The Moon and Design

The Moon and Design

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
02 Jun 17

Originally posted by apathist
No, there was a 'cause'. You skipped a step.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Jun 17

Originally posted by chaney3
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Really? Well, what do you mean by 'causer'?

c

Moves
02 Jun 17
1 edit

Really? Well, what do you mean by 'causer'?
A 'causer' does not need to be caused. It would be illogical, because that paradox would be neverending in reverse, requiring infinite 'causers'.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Jun 17

A 'causer' does not need a cause. It would be illogical, because that paradox would be neverending in reverse, requiring infinite 'causers'.
Ah. You're right about the regress. At no point will there ever be a cause that does not itself need to be caused. So reality is infinite after all, even if our universe had a beginning.

c

Moves
02 Jun 17

Ah. You're right about the regress. At no point will there ever be a cause that does not itself need to be caused. So reality is infinite after all, even if our universe had a beginning.
The 'creator' is the exception. There needs to be a 'causer' to it all, or none of it makes sense.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Jun 17

The 'creator' is the exception. There needs to be a 'causer' to it all, or none of it makes sense.
Then the causer needs to be caused, or none of it makes sense.

c

Moves
02 Jun 17

Then the causer needs to be caused, or none of it makes sense.
If you agree that everything has been caused, then can you explain how that happened?

If you cannot, then why the reluctance to allow for a 'causer'? Is it simply because you can't fathom what caused the 'causer' in the first place? Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean it should be dismissed.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Jun 17

If you agree that everything has been caused, then can you explain how that happened?
Causes are the explanation.

If you cannot, then why the reluctance to allow for a 'causer'? Is it simply because you can't fathom what caused the 'causer' in the first place? Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean it should be dismissed.
If something isn't caused, then it didn't happen. Meanwhile, if the causer doesn't need a cause, then why should an infinite reality need a cause? You know, the famous razor?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Jun 17

Basically, chaney, the 'first cause' is a lousy argument for creator gods in the first place, and it wouldn't indicate your particular God in the second place. And it has nothing to with the spiritual needs of mankind so it pointless in the third place.

Well, it is scary to contemplate infinity so maybe the 'first cause' thing does provide some protection.

c

Moves
02 Jun 17

Basically, chaney, the 'first cause' is a lousy argument for creator gods in the first place, and it wouldn't indicate your particular God in the second place. And it has nothing to with the spiritual needs of mankind so it pointless in the third place.

Well, it is scary to contemplate infinity so maybe the 'first cause' thing does provide some protection.
Things do not cause themselves.

Stating that a 'causer' is required is much different than knowing who or what the causer is.

The problem for you is that you would rather dismiss the entire causer issue to avoid the implication. It does not make any sense to have a universe that somehow came to be, all by itself. No sense at all.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Jun 17

Things do not cause themselves.
That sounds like an argument against the first cause idea.

Stating that a 'causer' is required is much different than knowing who or what the causer is.
Okay. But I see no reason to suppose a 'causer' is required. The razor, remember? I notice you ignored that point.

The problem for you is that you would rather dismiss the entire causer issue to avoid the implication. It does not make any sense to have a universe that somehow came to be, all by itself. No sense at all.
Then it also makes no sense to have a god that somehow came to be, all by itself. No sense at all.

Both problems averted by infinity.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Jun 17

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I did read it. The whole thing.
Or did you miss that?

edit: 'violent' ? what the hell? I thought it was me who was screwing with the language.
Everyone else understood what I said.

Cape Town

Moves
02 Jun 17

Anyway, there is no such thing as an uncaused event. The concept is meaningless sophistry.
Or rather, your statement is meaningless sophistry based on changing definitions to make your desired statement true.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
02 Jun 17
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
Or rather, your statement is meaningless sophistry based on changing definitions to make your desired statement true.
You project, btw.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 17
1 edit

You no what is more disheartening than swallowing the idea of infinity...someday finding the walls of your cage.