The Moon and Design

The Moon and Design

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
09 Jun 17

Originally posted by humy
For those that don't, any thinking they do is over-thinking even if they don't know it.
I guess I don't know, but you haven't convinced me. I know there are lots of retarded views out there. How attendant are you to your own view.

h

Moves
09 Jun 17
8 edits

Originally posted by apathist
But when hidden variables are required to rescue your system.
hidden variables aren't "required to rescue" quantum physics. You clearly understand nothing about quantum physics nor the issues involved and have no idea what you are talking about.

K

Germany

Moves
09 Jun 17

But when hidden variables are required to rescue your system.
What?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Jun 17
1 edit

hidden variables aren't "required to rescue" quantum physics.
Of course not. They are required to rescue determinism from the findings of quantum physics.

You clearly understand nothing about quantum physics nor the issues involved and have no idea what you are talking about.
If you were confident and sane, you could afford to be polite. If you're nuts or scared, you know, carry on.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Jun 17

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
What?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_variable_theory

K

Germany

Moves
11 Jun 17

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_variable_theory
I know what hidden variable theories are.

I just don't understand what you are talking about.

h

Moves
11 Jun 17
1 edit

Of course not. .
Then why did you suggest they might be?

h

Moves
11 Jun 17
9 edits

same here. And no scientist knows what he is talking about. I find it appalling how many times I see a layperson apparently assume he understands science better than scientists do; I see this TOO often.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Jun 17

Then why did you suggest they might be?
Because, as the rest of my post said: They are required to rescue determinism from the findings of quantum physics.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Jun 17

I have trouble believing that, but I'll try.

Is the universe a clockwork, Kazet? There is only on possible way it can unfold?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
11 Jun 17

same here. And no scientist knows what he is talking about. I find it appalling how many times I see a layperson apparently assume he understands science better than scientists do; I see this TOO often.
I know when to look to the experts. And I always carry a bag of salt. Why don't you?

You feel the need to blatantly lie here.
Some scientists, at the least, know what I'm talking about. This can be fact-checked.

h

Moves
12 Jun 17
3 edits

Because, as the rest of my post said: They are required to rescue determinism from the findings of quantum physics.
what makes you think we are trying to "rescue" determinism or have any need to? Explain...
I have never tried to "rescue" determinism and don't know of anyone that has.

h

Moves
12 Jun 17
4 edits

I know when to look to the experts. And I always carry a bag of salt. Why don't you?

because I don't have the delusional arrogance of believing I know better about a subject than most experts on the subject much better qualified in it than myself.
There are many people much smarter than you and I (many on this forum) who know many things you and I don't; suck it up.

K

Germany

Moves
13 Jun 17

I have trouble believing that, but I'll try.

Is the universe a clockwork, Kazet? There is only on possible way it can unfold?
I take it you are asking whether the universe is deterministic.

Our knowledge (both empirical and theoretical) with respect to this issue is inconclusive.

Hidden variable theories have been discredited since Bell's theorem and in particular the experiments confirming it. However, this does not mean that determinism is out of the window - it just means that when you have a particle floating around in space you cannot for instance assign it a definite position and momentum. Determinism doesn't require that this is possible - indeed, we have a deterministic description of non-interacting particles already that appears to work just fine (the Schrödinger equation for non-relativistic massive particles for example).

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
13 Jun 17

what makes you think we are trying to "rescue" determinism or have any need to? Explain...
I have never tried to "rescue" determinism and don't know of anyone that has.
As quantum mechanics developed, it became necessary to base it on probability theory. This confused many scientists, since they believed reality is deterministic. So they proposed the existence of hidden variables. You already know this, so what is your game here?

Bell ruled out local hidden variables, while non-local hidden variables would bring in some new rather startling problems.

The hidden variable idea exists only because the old-school clockwork-universe crowd was so uncomfortable with the idea that reality is fundamentally probabilistic.

I think it is better to fit theories to reality, rather than the other way around.