Creation AND Evolution?

Creation AND Evolution?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Aug 18

Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
You were claiming that good mutations are at risk of being overwritten by bad mutations. However, the very low chance for a mutation to occur means that a typical base pair will reproduce a huge number of times before a new mutation occurs in that base pair. That's not a "belief," it is empirical data we can measure directly. Hence, your objection is inconsistent with how DNA mutations work in practice.
Exactly what would you be measuring, when?

K

Germany

Moves
20 Aug 18

Originally posted by @kellyjay
Exactly what would you be measuring, when?
Some measurement techniques are briefly explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_rate#Measurement

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Aug 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone
good and bad show up
will sort the good from the bad
have rose colored glasses on
Rose colored glasses / like mistakes and transgressions/ are not good or bad . . . . . . . .Repeating mistakes/ While being aware of them/ impacts the whole tribe.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Aug 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Game of educating KellyJay enters its 12th season.
The Lord hath patience indeed 🙂

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Aug 18

You were claiming that good mutations are at risk of being overwritten by bad mutations. However, the very low chance for a mutation to occur means that a typical base pair will reproduce a huge number of times before a new mutation occurs in that base pair. That's not a "belief," it is empirical data we can measure directly. Hence, your objection is inconsistent with how DNA mutations work in practice.
No, you cannot measure what we have been talking about. We can measure what is here
and now, but here and now isn't life as it was supposed to be after abio-genesis is it? The
measurements taken today are all on life forms fully developed, equip with all the various
systems and organs to survive and reproduce after itself. So readings today do not at all
show you anything of what might have been, in other words, you have no empirical data
for claims about the distant past that support mutation rates.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Aug 18

Some measurement techniques are briefly explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_rate#Measurement
Looking at life today does not give you insight into life supposedly living millions of years
ago.

K

Germany

Moves
21 Aug 18

Looking at life today does not give you insight into life supposedly living millions of years
ago.
You're losing track a bit, I'm afraid. We were talking about natural selection, a process that takes place right now, today.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Aug 18
1 edit

You're losing track a bit, I'm afraid. We were talking about natural selection, a process that takes place right now, today.
Right now, today, I'm all in for the reasons I've admitted to here already. If rabbits go into
an area filled with snow the white ones will be dominate soon as they blend much easier
than the darker colored ones. That however will not cause them to grow wings in several
hundred thousand years.

From the start of the process until now, can we say that natural selection can be given
credit for all life as is? You have to know that all living creatures today have all kinds of
built in defense mechanisms for staying alive, and maintaining the kind of life it is, but
there are two things be discussed here, all we see today is it by design, or could it arise
any other way?

Abio-genesis has life starting and it is assumed reproduction and the ability to eat were
traits that life had when the process supposedly began otherwise life starves or doesn't
reproduce, end of story. If you think after the onset abio-genesis gave life more features,
what were they?

What we see today the rates, all the built in features, the means to repress bad
mutations and so on, would not have been coded into life back then, so all bets would be
off, you cannot claim these things as signs of evolution or could be evidence for design
as well. What you have to do is walk through the process without these built in features
that could not have been coded right from the start and ask, is it possible?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Aug 18
1 edit

I'm not losing track, I don't think you have ever followed my complaints at all.

K

Germany

Moves
21 Aug 18

Right now, today, I'm all in for the reasons I've admitted to here already. If rabbits go into
an area filled with snow the white ones will be dominate soon as they blend much easier
than the darker colored ones. That however will not cause them to grow wings in several
hundred thousand years.

From the start of the process until now, can we say that ...[text shortened]... built in features
that could not have been coded right from the start and ask, is it possible?
Let's stick with natural selection, and for the moment not consider the long-term effects. I will come back to those once you understand how natural selection works.

Mutations that can be good, neutral or bad. If they are good then they enhance reproductive success, and they will proliferate throughout the population. We are talking about the short-term effects of a minor, small benefit, which could indeed be something like fur colour. Are you with me up to this point?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Aug 18

Let's stick with natural selection, and for the moment not consider the long-term effects. I will come back to those once you understand how natural selection works.

Mutations that can be good, neutral or bad. If they are good then they enhance reproductive success, and they will proliferate throughout the population. We are talking about the short- ...[text shortened]... mall benefit, which could indeed be something like fur colour. Are you with me up to this point?
I actually don’t think you care for a conversation as much as you do a shot at telling others what you think.

K

Germany

Moves
21 Aug 18

I actually don’t think you care for a conversation as much as you do a shot at telling others what you think.
I don't think that is a fair characterization, KellyJay. I am merely trying to explain to you what natural selection is. Perhaps your frustration stems from an inability to convince yourself of your own viewpoints? Psychologists have termed this phenomenon "cognitive dissonance."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Aug 18

I don't think that is a fair characterization, KellyJay. I am merely trying to explain to you what natural selection is. Perhaps your frustration stems from an inability to convince yourself of your own viewpoints? Psychologists have termed this phenomenon "cognitive dissonance."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
That’s my point this is you trying to explain, this is not a conversation.

K

Germany

Moves
21 Aug 18

That’s my point this is you trying to explain, this is not a conversation.
What would you imagine a "conversation" to be like?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Aug 18

What would you imagine a "conversation" to be like?
I don’t have to imagine what conversations are like. This is more like a lecture than a discussion.