Creation AND Evolution?

Creation AND Evolution?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
19 Aug 18
1 edit

good and bad show up
will sort the good from the bad
have rose colored glasses on

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Aug 18

Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
Indeed, that's because they are separate. Since mutations are rare, the good and bad mutations do not, in general, occur for the same organisms, so natural selection can act on them separately.

Anything else I need to clear up?
Really, are you sure?

K

Germany

Moves
19 Aug 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @kellyjay
Really, are you sure?
I really am. Mutation rates can be measured, so we know that they are low. Natural selection won't function effectively unless mutations are sufficiently rare. For example, in humans the mutation rate is approximately one in 2 billion per base pair per year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_rate

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Aug 18

I really am. Mutation rates can be measured, so we know that they are low. Natural selection won't function effectively unless mutations are sufficiently rare. For example, in humans the mutation rate is approximately one in 2 billion per base pair per year:

From what I read it said it varies, so where did you get your numbers? I may have missed
your portion that supports your statement.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Aug 18

From what I read it said it varies, so where did you get your numbers? I may have missed
your portion that supports your statement.
The human germline mutation rate is approximately 0.5×10−9 per basepair per year.[1]

In any case, it hardly matters for the purposes of our discussion whether the mutation rate is 1 in 2 billion or 1 in 20 billion, it just has to be low enough.

Let's get back to natural selection. So you've accepted that mutations can occur and can affect reproductive success - now you know mutations are sufficiently rare so that natural selection results in a proliferation of good mutations and a suppression of bad ones, as they generally affect different organisms. Is anything still unclear?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Aug 18

The human germline mutation rate is approximately 0.5×10−9 per basepair per year.[1]

In any case, it hardly matters for the purposes of our discussion whether the mutation rate is 1 in 2 billion or 1 in 20 billion, it just has to be low enough.

Let's get back to natural selection. So you've accepted that mutations can occur and can ...[text shortened]... uppression of bad ones, as they generally affect different organisms. Is anything still unclear?
It doesn't matter how rare they are, what matters is if good ones and bad one's mix. Even
if they come through one at a time which I don't think is true, it is still good, bad, bad,
bad, good. The nothing would be sacred nothing out of bounds so that once a positive
changes occurs it wouldn't or couldn't be altered later by some new change.

Go on however, I'll let that drop so you can make your point.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Aug 18

It doesn't matter how rare they are, what matters is if good ones and bad one's mix. Even
if they come through one at a time which I don't think is true, it is still good, bad, bad,
bad, good. The nothing would be sacred nothing out of bounds so that once a positive
changes occurs it wouldn't or couldn't be altered later by some new change.

Go on however, I'll let that drop so you can make your point.
Since mutations are rare, it is exceedingly unlikely that good and bad mutations occur simultaneously in the same organism, compared to the situation that they occur in different organisms at different times. Hence, natural selection has sufficient time to weed out the bad mutations and proliferate the good ones.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Aug 18

Since mutations are rare, it is exceedingly unlikely that good and bad mutations occur simultaneously in the same organism, compared to the situation that they occur in different organisms at different times. Hence, natural selection has sufficient time to weed out the bad mutations and proliferate the good ones.
We can agree to disagree.

ENGLAND

Moves
19 Aug 18
1 edit

Game of educating KellyJay enters its 12th season.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Aug 18

We can agree to disagree.
Sure, but what is it you disagree with, specifically? If you explain what part gives you problems, I can help clear it up. Your last objection to natural selection has now been discarded, as I explained that the rate of mutations is typically very low, and you haven't presented any new objections.

Once you understand how natural selection works, I can move on to explaining the evolution of complex features.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Aug 18

Sure, but what is it you disagree with, specifically? If you explain what part gives you problems, I can help clear it up. Your last objection to natural selection has now been discarded, as I explained that the rate of mutations is typically very low, and you haven't presented any new objections.

Once you understand how natural selection works, I can move on to explaining the evolution of complex features.
Page 47, and you want to know what my issues are. You think if I repeat them you'll get
what I've been saying?

K

Germany

Moves
20 Aug 18

Page 47, and you want to know what my issues are. You think if I repeat them you'll get
what I've been saying?
You should repeat it in a way that addresses my rebuttal of your concerns.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Aug 18
1 edit

You should repeat it in a way that addresses my rebuttal of your concerns.
The vast majority of your rebuttals was just repeating your beliefs, they didn't touch the
things I was saying. (the same beliefs)

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Aug 18
3 edits

Just a reminder from the point of abio-genesis on life was supposedly very simple and
became much more complex. Life today would be nothing like that, many systems today
have several built in systems for protection and redundancy, they all breed after their own
kinds, the list is great and so you cannot look at todays living systems and declare they
would all act the same way as early life during reproduction. There would be nothing
within the systems causing them to so many things, because those things wouldn't be a
part of their normal processes unless it is coded in the DNA it isn't there.

What traits do you think the first life forms had besides being able to reproduce, and
eat?

K

Germany

Moves
20 Aug 18

The vast majority of your rebuttals was just repeating your beliefs, they didn't touch the
things I was saying. (the same beliefs)
You were claiming that good mutations are at risk of being overwritten by bad mutations. However, the very low chance for a mutation to occur means that a typical base pair will reproduce a huge number of times before a new mutation occurs in that base pair. That's not a "belief," it is empirical data we can measure directly. Hence, your objection is inconsistent with how DNA mutations work in practice.