The RHP Tavern on the Board is open

The RHP Tavern on the Board is open

General

SRB

Moves
06 Sep 20

@torunn said
I would go there for small talk. There is no such place close to where I live, it would have been nice.
Pubs seemed to be on the decline even before COVID. We have one at the end of our road still, but that is less common now. Loads of boarded up pubs in Liverpool if you go north of the centre. Is it a new thing that there isn't one in your area?

Gothenburg

Moves
06 Sep 20

@petewxyz said
Pubs seemed to be on the decline even before COVID. We have one at the end of our road still, but that is less common now. Loads of boarded up pubs in Liverpool if you go north of the centre. Is it a new thing that there isn't one in your area?
No, there never was one. I live in a very quiet area, with only food shops, pizzerias, and lunch restaurants. Why did people start ignoring pubs in England?

SRB

Moves
06 Sep 20

@torunn said
No, there never was one. I live in a very quiet area, with only food shops, pizzerias, and lunch restaurants. Why did people start ignoring pubs in England?
It's in the poorer areas of the city that they are closing. I suppose it got cheaper to drink at home, but it seems to me that people becoming less social is movement in the wrong direction.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
06 Sep 20

@petewxyz said
The place where everybody knows your name. 😁
I can just see Cliff sitting there with a candle in front of him, talking to Carla lol

Gothenburg

Moves
06 Sep 20

@petewxyz said
It's in the poorer areas of the city that they are closing. I suppose it got cheaper to drink at home, but it seems to me that people becoming less social is movement in the wrong direction.
I would have thought that people in poorer areas would need pubs more. Swedes often invite friends in their homes, but in England I thought people prefer go to pubs instead. As you say, people would be happier together.

SRB

Moves
06 Sep 20

@torunn said
I would have thought that people in poorer areas would need pubs more. Swedes often invite friends in their homes, but in England I thought people prefer go to pubs instead. As you say, people would be happier together.
Maybe the virtual world has made a difference somehow, but it's a definite trend. I used to go to a pub near Anfield called The Richmond Arms for years until it went out of business. I guess it was only doing business on match days. It wasn't as loud as other pubs. No screens, but you could get on the pool table.

Gothenburg

Moves
06 Sep 20

@petewxyz said
Maybe the virtual world has made a difference somehow, but it's a definite trend. I used to go to a pub near Anfield called The Richmond Arms for years until it went out of business. I guess it was only doing business on match days. It wasn't as loud as other pubs. No screens, but you could get on the pool table.
At least we have this place to go to. 🙂

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Sep 20

@torunn said
So it (the decline of Pubs) could be an effect of samller families. Singles can invite in their hoem easily as can couples. The Problem starts with a lot of People in few Rooms...

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Sep 20

@ponderable said
The Problem starts with a lot of People in few Rooms...
From what I've seen it usually the same people in several rooms!

-VR

SRB

Moves
08 Sep 20

@ponderable said
So it (the decline of Pubs) could be an effect of samller families. Singles can invite in their hoem easily as can couples. The Problem starts with a lot of People in few Rooms...
Weird thing is that pubs seem to stay open in middle class areas. Otherwise it's pubs that show sport so you don't have to subscribe to sport channels.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Sep 20

@petewxyz said
Otherwise it's pubs that show sport so you don't have to subscribe to sport channels.
Much safer way to go at home in your lazyboy recliner! 😉

I'd sooner pay for the sport channels.

-VR

Moves
11 Sep 20

@very-rusty said
Much safer way to go at home in your lazyboy recliner! 😉

I'd sooner pay for the sport channels.

-VR
Not everyone has your money.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
11 Sep 20

@great-big-stees said
Not everyone has your money.
Forget about the money, your health is much more important.

Hell you take many more trips than I do.

-VR

Moves
11 Sep 20

@very-rusty said
Forget about the money, your health is much more important.

Hell you take many more trips than I do.

-VR
To each his/her own eh? 😉

Moves
11 Sep 20

@torunn said
It started with the smoking ban, which was a great thing but not so good for pubs. Pubs that serve food will always do reasonably well imo but just selling alcohol is a struggle, people just don't go out and drink the way they used to and it has gotten more expensive. Coffee shops are doing really well though and have seen a boom in recent years, even going on a date people would choose a coffee date over a pub date now in the majority of cases.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.