Is Ryan even capable of telling a truth?

Is Ryan even capable of telling a truth?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by no1marauder
For someone who doesn't "deal with either shallow platitudes, or aggression", you [normbenign] sure dish them out.
He's the only regular poster for years who has explicitly reserved the right to use violence against people who are disrespectful.

F

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I don't play golf but I bought a blackthorn shilleleagh and I bet I could play shinty with it.
All I'm getting from normbenign and his "golf" analogy, is that he disagrees with my opinions, and that he seeks to make this point in a really dreary, parochial and pouting sort of way. If he doesn't wish to participate in an international Debate Forum on a British web site, there are many other options on the internet.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
He's the only regular poster for years who has explicitly reserved the right to use violence against people who are disrespectful.
That is a lie you keep repeating, but which still isn't true. That is why I don't play your word games anymore. You are a proven and demonstrated liar, as well as a misinformed moron.

You get to prove it time and again.

I reserve the right to use violence in response to violence. I reserve the right to call out your lies as they occur, as well as your comments on events half way around the world which highlight your ignorance.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
All I'm getting from normbenign and his "golf" analogy, is that he disagrees with my opinions, and that he seeks to make this point in a really dreary, parochial and pouting sort of way. If he doesn't wish to participate in an international Debate Forum on a British web site, there are many other options on the internet.
You clearly don't get much. You prefer to make up arguments for others, what most of us recognize as "strawmen".

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
I often find myself in agreement with several of the American posters here. How is their "golf"?
Or, better yet, What is Golf?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-24.ZD.html

F

Moves
04 Sep 12
1 edit

Originally posted by normbenign
You clearly don't get much. You prefer to make up arguments for others, what most of us recognize as "strawmen".
That you often make your points in a really dreary, parochial and pouting sort of way is my opinion, not a "straw man". You do not have to agree with it. Others will decide for themselves if I have a point. 😵

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by sh76
Or, better yet, What is Golf?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-24.ZD.html
Does anyone get the analogy that local knowledge is of value? Does FMF even know where Janeville is? I've been there, and traveled through the region.

The point is not to remove his comments, but to remind us that people far removed have less credibility, especially when they have been prone to lies and hyperbole in the recent past.

His local knowledge of Jakarta, and other Indonesian cities, and politics would make me a bit reluctant to act as if I were on a par with his local knowledge.

I don't comment much on other than generalities regarding such things as UK politics, cause I know I don't know.

F

Moves
04 Sep 12

That is a lie you keep repeating, but which still isn't true. That is why I don't play your word games anymore. You are a proven and demonstrated liar, as well as a misinformed moron.

You get to prove it time and again.

I reserve the right to use violence in response to violence. I reserve the right to call out your lies as they occur, as well as your comments on events half way around the world which highlight your ignorance.
I admit I have repeated a few times, but it's not a lie. Here it was. March this year. This forum.

FMF: So you advocate a violent response - if you choose that option - when you get into a disagreement?

normbenign: Yes, violence is a choice of response, and I believe is appropriate when faced with a person showing no respect or dignity. At the very least, let the person know if they are violent you will respond in kind.

And here is the "context" in full, should you try to suggest that I am concealing the "context" in any way:

Thread 145568, especially pages 2 or 3 onwards.

F

Moves
04 Sep 12

The point is not to remove his comments, but to remind us that people far removed have less credibility, especially when they have been prone to lies and hyperbole in the recent past.
Surely it is for the other contributors to this forum to make their minds up about the credibility of what you present and what I present, or what anyone else presents for that matter; be they American or European or whatever? Are you so insecure about how you are perceived here in this community that you have resorted to making posts to "remind" people that you don't agree with me and that you personally don't find me credible? 😵

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
04 Sep 12
2 edits

Does anyone get the analogy that local knowledge is of value? Does FMF even know where Janeville is? I've been there, and traveled through the region.

His local kn h on other than generalities regarding such things as UK politics, cause I know I don't know.
In the thread I linked to from a few years ago, I made this analogy in response to a similar claim:

If you asked someone what the weather was like where they lived and they consistently answered "-200 F", you'd assume they didn't know what they were talking about (unless they lived on Pluto).

EDIT: My statement in pertinent part:

If you asked someone what the weather was outside where they were and then consistently said "-200 degrees", you'd tend not to trust their statements unless they were on the planet Pluto. Similarly the fact that many of the posters here are Brit sympathizers who have some familiarity with the geography of Ireland doesn't mean they know jack about the issues being discussed here. Many of their factual assertions have been shown to be laughably incorrect and some have shown attitudes like a contempt for the heroes of the struggle for Irish independence that are demonstrably way out of line with Irish thinking.

EDIT2: sh76 makes essentially the same point below, but my way of saying it is more "marauderish".

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
04 Sep 12
1 edit

His local kn h on other than generalities regarding such things as UK politics, cause I know I don't know.
Well, I don't think I agree with that. While it is true that people who live in an area are, on the whole, more likely to be knowledgeable about local politics, this is not inherent. It's not an issue of credibility either. It's an issue of who makes the most convincing argument with the best underlying data. Sure the local person may have an advantage, but that doesn't mean he will convert that advantage.

Moreover, most of the issues we debate are philosophical and apply pretty evenly no matter where you are. It's not like we're arguing whether the OshKosh planning board should grant a variance to some club to operate with fewer parking spots. These are issues that are pretty universal in application.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by sh76
Well, I don't think I agree with that. While it is true that people who live in an area are, on the whole, more likely to be knowledgeable about local politics, this is not inherent. It's not an issue of credibility either. It's an issue of who makes the most convincing argument with the best underlying data. Sure the local person may have an advantage, but tha ...[text shortened]... erate with fewer parking spots. These are issues that are pretty universal in application.
I agree, but Norm is right about American posters not commenting on foreign politics. We generally just don't know what's going on in Indonesia, for example, because our media doesn't mention it unless something explodes there (or Orangutangs start smoking), and we don't go out of our way to find out. It's a cultural weakness in my view.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by Sleepyguy
I agree, but Norm is right about American posters not commenting on foreign politics. We generally just don't know what's going on in Indonesia, for example, because our media doesn't mention it unless something explodes there (or Orangutangs start smoking), and we don't go out of our way to find out. It's a cultural weakness in my view.
Indonesia, yes. But I think we get our fair share of European news, considering that we're exposed to very little European media.

Moves
04 Sep 12

One lie scrapped?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/09/04/1127569/-The-end-of-the-Romney-welfare-lie