Is Ryan even capable of telling a truth?

Is Ryan even capable of telling a truth?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by normbenign
Sure it is, but frankly I don't pretend to know much about Indonesian politics. You seem to have deep rooted beliefs about what Americans ought to do, how they should vote, etc., when these things aren't a factor in your life. If you are wrong, there is no consequence to you.

Certainly you have a right to express your opinion, and I have a right to point out its lack of relevance.
An opinion if based on the facts shouldn't be disregarded just because a foreigner has the opinion. If you wish to disagree with the opinion and present facts that should lead to a different one, that's what a forum board is for. But simply saying we should ignore any foreigner's opinion about issues in the US because they are a foreigner is fallacious, simple minded and inappropriate.

F

Moves
02 Sep 12

If you are wrong, there is no consequence to you.
Well, if you are wrong, there is no consequence to me. So there is no problem here I think.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by no1marauder
You pretend to be an authority on what happened in Ireland in the 1840's. Do you have "first hand knowledge" of that?
Both of us disagree on history, written history. No I wasn't in Ireland in the 1840s, and you weren't either, unless you are the oldest living person on the planet.

And no, I was not and am not an authority on that subject, however I can read, and found conflicts in the very documents that you cited.

This is a huge difference between me telling someone how to run their country, or how to vote in their elections.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well, if you are wrong, there is no consequence to me. So there is no problem here I think.
The consequences are all here. I don't tell you how to vote, or the solution to Indonesian problems.

F

Moves
02 Sep 12

But simply saying we should ignore any foreigner's opinion about issues in the US because they are a foreigner is fallacious, simple minded and inappropriate.
If normbenign had any sense of forum history at all, he would know that there have been scarcely any regular reputable posters who have used the old 'you're not an American, so what do you know?' chestnut, left wing or right wing, except for a few absolute drongos from time to time. I can't remember a European poster ever using the 'you're not a European, so what do you know' "argument".

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Sep 12

Both of us disagree on history, written history. No I wasn't in Ireland in the 1840s, and you weren't either, unless you are the oldest living person on the planet.

And no, I was not and am not an authority on that subject, however I can read, and found conflicts in the very documents that you cited.

This is a huge difference between me telling someone how to run their country, or how to vote in their elections.
I don't see any more difference from someone in a foreign country giving their opinions regarding American politics in Debates from the same foreigner giving their opinion I should play the Semi-Slav in Chess. In either case, I am free to evaluate their suggestions based on the facts and either accept or reject them.

F

Moves
02 Sep 12

The consequences are all here. I don't tell you how to vote, or the solution to Indonesian problems.
You have no direct impact on Indonesia and I have no direct impact on the U.S. This is in internet Debate Forum, normbenign. Tell us, what is it you want and don't want to happen in this arena?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Sep 12

An opinion if based on the facts shouldn't be disregarded just because a foreigner has the opinion. If you wish to disagree with the opinion and present facts that should lead to a different one, that's what a forum board is for. But simply saying we should ignore any foreigner's opinion about issues in the US because they are a foreigner is fallacious, simple minded and inappropriate.
" because they are a foreigner is fallacious, simple minded and inappropriate"

It is fair to point out a lack of first hand knowledge, and any personal involvement, "skin in the game". It is not "because they are a foreigner", but because they display ignorance, and abuse of people who do live here, and face the actual consequences of political mismanagement.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
If normbenign had any sense of forum history at all, he would know that there have been scarcely any regular reputable posters who have used the old 'you're not an American, so what do you know?' chestnut, left wing or right wing, except for a few absolute drongos from time to time. I can't remember a European poster ever using the 'you're not a European, so what do you know' "argument".
You didn't see the thread about Northern Ireland after the killing of the two British soldiers a few years ago. Plenty of UK posters told me just that.

F

Moves
02 Sep 12

Are you afraid that you might end up doing what I tell you or vote how I tell you? Is that it?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
You have no direct impact on Indonesia and I have no direct impact on the U.S. This is in internet Debate Forum, normbenign. Tell us, what is it you want and don't want to happen in this arena?
It is fine as it is. You can continue to offer uninformed critiques of the US and its politics, and I can continue to point out you don't know squat about the US, and that people who actually live and vote here may carry more weight in the debate.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Sep 12

" because they are a foreigner is fallacious, simple minded and inappropriate"

It is fair to point out a lack of first hand knowledge, and any personal involvement, "skin in the game". It is not "because they are a foreigner", but because they display ignorance, and abuse of people who do live here, and face the actual consequences of political mismanagement.
No, it isn't "fair"; it is completely irrelevant. Either they make good points or they do not; where they happen to live has no bearing on it.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
Are you afraid that you might end up doing what I tell you or vote how I tell you? Is that it?
I am not afraid of anything, especially internet tough guys like you.

F

Moves
02 Sep 12

It is fine as it is. You can continue to offer uninformed critiques of the US and its politics, and I can continue to point out you don't know squat about the US, and that people who actually live and vote here may carry more weight in the debate.
So what are going on about then?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
02 Sep 12

No, it isn't "fair"; it is completely irrelevant. Either they make good points or they do not; where they happen to live has no bearing on it.
Who appointed you referee and arbiter?