Why do religious ones stick with delusions?

Why do religious ones stick with delusions?

Spirituality

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jun 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
why doesn't Kanzi e mail the forum then? as for Dolphins and other purely speculative and non corroborated data, why dont you ask them to mail the forum as well? yes ill tell you what it proves, that humans are unique in their ability to form thoughts and ideas and present them to others through language and in their sense of consciousness. Brain ...[text shortened]... forum, after all, there's a mere two percent difference, it shouldn't take much, should it.
It should be even easier for chimps since, according to him,
there is only .6 percent difference from humans. How absurd
can these atheist get?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Jun 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
It should be even easier for chimps since, according to him,
there is only .6 percent difference from humans. How absurd
can these atheist get?
What is your issue here? Are you refuting the idea that chimps and humans have extremely closely related genes?

Robbie, what makes consciousness?

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
14 Jun 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
What is it about religion that makes people give up their minds to dogma? Especially with so many religions saying totally opposite things. How can such a person look at all the other religions and say to themselves, my religion is the one true religion?
I think to be able for you to answer your question, you first have to understand or accept that people need to be 'religious', and to understand that you have to understand human nature. Most of the world's population is religious in some way, so it could be said that there is a need for a human to be 'religious' (generally speaking and taking religious to be spiritually abstract and not what you or I may think of it as). Perhaps it is a social construct that has become for many populations an essential mechanism for a satisfactory interaction with other people and the world around them. Perhaps it (religion) has evolved as a survival mechanism?

rc

Moves
14 Jun 11

What is your issue here? Are you refuting the idea that chimps and humans have extremely closely related genes?

not a consciousness gene thats for sure. I find it particularly grating that the materialist must assume a genetic basis for everything, we've had , the gay gene, trying to reduce sexuality to that which is material, a religiosity gene, which also tries to find a purely materialistic basis for why persons are religious and now, a consciousness gene? sigh, why do we have consciousness? because we were made in the 'image', of God with these innate attributes, that is why we have consciousness, that is why we have the faculty of conscience, a sense of justice and thrive on love.

The materialist answers to these questions are not very satisfactory, after all, we should all be competing to overcome each other, yet as we have observed, such Darwinian principles have horrendous consequences for humanity. when asked why conscience, we are directed towards some kind of vague social mechanism for co operation, like ants in a colony, despite the fact that ants act through instinct, rather than purely reason, which after all, forms the very basis of conscience.

Why must you reduce everything to a purely material basis, who can say?

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jun 11

consciousness is what makes humans human.
What sort of conciousness? All apes are concious as are all mammals. So how is our conciousness different from theirs?

rc

Moves
14 Jun 11
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
What sort of conciousness? All apes are concious as are all mammals. So how is our conciousness different from theirs?
all Apes are conscious? how is that? Are they conscious of their past, perhaps they make plans for retirement? Are they also aware of beauty and art? do tell, how Apes are conscious.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Jun 11

all Apes are conscious? how is that? Are they conscious of their past, perhaps they make plans for retirement? Are they also aware of beauty and art? do tell, how Apes are conscious.
Look up the term Anthropocentric.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Jun 11

By your definition a baby is not conscious.

rc

Moves
14 Jun 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
By your definition a baby is not conscious.
i dont know. I have some very early childhood memories, black betty by Ram Jam is one of them.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Jun 11

i dont know. I have some very early childhood memories, black betty by Ram Jam is one of them.
Before the age of two?!

A human baby would not fit your definition of conscious.

rc

Moves
14 Jun 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Before the age of two?!

A human baby would not fit your definition of conscious.
research has indicated that children are receptive to stimulus before being born, that is why during pre natal, couples are advised to read to the unborn child, whether this indicates consciousness, i cannot say, but its a sure indication.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jun 11

all Apes are conscious?
By the standard definition, most definitely. That's why I asked what your definition is.

Are they conscious of their past,
Yes.

perhaps they make plans for retirement?
I don't know. I certainly don't. Am I unconscious?

Are they also aware of beauty and art?
Yes.

do tell, how Apes are conscious.
The same way we are. Unless you have a really strange definition which you seem to be reluctant to give.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jun 11

research has indicated that children are receptive to stimulus before being born, that is why during pre natal, couples are advised to read to the unborn child, whether this indicates consciousness, i cannot say, but its a sure indication.
Unborn children plan for retirement and appreciate art? Thats interesting.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
14 Jun 11

Your definition of what is 'conscious' is drifting all over the place. First we had this -

Are they conscious of their past, perhaps they make plans for retirement? Are they also aware of beauty and art? do tell, how Apes are conscious.

Now a requirement of conscious is being receptive to stimuli before being born?! The goalposts are moving all over the place.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Jun 11

Haven't you been following the debate? The absudity is the professing,
by certain evolutionary believing atheists, that chimps are close
ancestral relatives of humans. It does not matter what the gene
makeup might be, chimps and humans did not evolve from the same
common ancestor. They were created by God with the closely
related genes because that was part of the design in the bodies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.