What are you reading?

What are you reading?

General

l

Moves
01 Feb 16

‘The Bomb Maker and his Woman’ by Leif GW Persson

" Critically acclaimed and immensely popular Leif GW Persson... At once Scandinavia’s most renowned criminologist and a leading psychological profiler, Persson has also served as an advisor to the Swedish Ministry of Justice. Since 1991, he holds the position of Professor at the National Swedish Police Board and is regularly consulted as the country's foremost expert on crime..."

N

Moves
01 Feb 16

'30 Years of Mobile Phones in the UK' by Professor Nigel Linge

Interesting because it describes so many handsets with pictures for all of them, but quite short so far on background information and statistics, such as industry figures (both the human and financial kinds), the operating systems and other software used, and not least the cultural element — I'd like to know what excites and interests people about their phones. Also, not really as technical as I'd like.

'Seveneves' by Neal Stephenson

A superbly written science fiction novel that I sometimes find too densely-packed with technical explanations; however, the science and engineering aspects are what makes the book so interesting and as far as I can make out, based on very sound scientific thinking.

The setup, which is the only element of the plot that really requires suspension of disbelief, is that some 'agent' (probably extraterrestrial in origin) hits the moon, splitting it into seven rocks. Eventually scientists on earth work out that they have two years before the continued breakup of these rocks cause the 'white sky' and 'hard rain' (an apocalyptic meteor shower) which will destroy all life on Earth. Governments, scientists and the general population pin their hopes on adapting the International Space Station into an 'Ark' where carefully-chosen representatives of humanity will live until such time as the earth becomes inhabitable again.

Read a book!

Moves
01 Feb 16

"Pacific Crucible," first in a trilogy by Ian Toll on war in the Pacific
from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima and Nagasaki (1941-45).

White Hats Rule!

over here!

Moves
01 Feb 16
1 edit

great book. (slaughterhouse 5)

Moves
02 Feb 16

A book suggested by the Handyone: Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

Patzer

Canberra

Moves
02 Feb 16

Die Verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum

nice book

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
02 Feb 16

Originally posted by ptobler
Die Verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum

nice book
So I thought, while my comerades who had to read it for German lessons hated it...

l

Moves
03 Feb 16

'The List of My Desires' ( La liste de mes envies) 2012, Grégoire Delacourt - easy to read, worth considering. "What would you do if you win 18 million euros?..."
"So French,... or simply so real it hurts."

l

Moves
03 Feb 16

Svetlana Aleksijevitj: 'War's Unwomanly Face' (1985)

l

Moves
04 Feb 16

Originally posted by lolof
Svetlana Aleksijevitj: 'War's Unwomanly Face' (1985)
I would have to read this book in small parts - it's shocking and saddening. I ask myself - should I continue reading? Is it important that I read about terrible things that happened to people? Will I feel better if I don't? I haven't made up my mind.

l

Moves
13 Feb 16

Robert Goolrick - 'A Reliable Wife' (2009) - "...When Passion turns to Poison..."

I may have recommended it earlier - read it!

Moves
13 Feb 16

Cross Justice by James Patterson

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
23 Feb 16

After finishing Anathem I took up Tea Obreht: The Tiger's wife.

If you can ignore the rather vague Setting and read it as a work of fcition and not a historic nvel it is really good.

Moves
23 Feb 16

The Bees by Laline Paull.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Feb 16
1 edit

Michael Cobley, Humanity's Fire series, book 4, Ancestral Machines. Book 1, Seeds of Earth, 2, The Orphaned Worlds, 3 The Ascendant Stars.

Good series.

The far future where Earth colonized hundreds of planets in our part of the galaxy but other civilizations have thousands of planets in several empires, and some splinter human planets trying to get out of the thumb of the Earth empire.

So now on book 4.

Also just finished Jane Linskold's Artemis Awakening series, book one. Book two, Artemis Invaded is out in hardback only right now, paper in June or July.

She is a great writer, you feel like you are actually in the story.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.