Misguided Belief

Misguided Belief

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I would sure like to see some scientific trials to back up what sounds like a pretty interesting idea - I'm naturally sceptical, you understand, but hey, once you accept quantum theory it's hard to close doors like these! And certainly I think that a positive attitude can influence one's general health. Go on Kaz, dig up his name for me.
Bruce Lipton,phD. "Biology of Belief" is the title I came across. Interesting stuff. He really sounds like he knows what he's talking about and has lectured a great many hopeful medical students. I hope he's not just spreading crap.
I'm sure his peers have scrutinized him, if not, they should!

F

Moves
10 Jul 10

Given the dearth of evidence supporting any of the various flavours of religion available, what makes believers choose one sort over another?
Indoctrination < which is almost always designed to restrict choice. Difficulty in living life to the full < perception of different religions' capacity to address this. Fear of death < again, perception of different religions' capacity to address this. The impression that there is a "choice" probably hides the reality that the "sort" selected is mostly dictated by cultural and/or communal and/or family environment.

F

Moves
10 Jul 10
1 edit

Given the dearth of evidence supporting any of the various flavours of religion available, what makes believers choose one sort over another?

Originally posted by josephw
The Truth.
If you had been born where I currently live you almost certainly would have been a devout Muslim now. It's well worth remembering that when you reflect upon your own certainties.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Bruce Lipton,phD. "Biology of Belief" is the title I came across. Interesting stuff. He really sounds like he knows what he's talking about and has lectured a great many hopeful medical students. I hope he's not just spreading crap.
I'm sure his peers have scrutinized him, if not, they should!
I can see a fair bit of both positive and negative feedback for this guy on the web - I'll definitely check out his stuff on youtube later and see what I think.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by FMF
If you had been born where I currently live you almost certainly would have been a devout Muslim now. It's well worth remembering that when you reflect upon your own certainties.
If?

According to the word of truth, God foreknew all who would believe the truth, and predestined them to be conformed to the image of Christ.

It wouldn't have mattered where or when I was born. I would have believed the truth. Which is that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 Jul 10

If?

According to the word of truth, God foreknew all who would believe the truth, and predestined them to be conformed to the image of Christ.

It wouldn't have mattered where or when I was born. I would have believed the truth. Which is that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
I guess "open-minded" is an annoying, unecessary term for you.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Jul 10

If?

What if you were born 3000yrs ago?

F

Moves
10 Jul 10

If? According to the word of truth, God foreknew all who would believe the truth, and predestined them to be conformed to the image of Christ. It wouldn't have mattered where or when I was born. I would have believed the truth. Which is that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.
I think you are attributing the nature of your certainty incorrectly. The Jesus factor is a merely a detail. Your rather odd response proves my point, I think. Bearing in mind what seems to make you tick, we can pretty safely say that if you had been born here in Java, Indonesia, you almost certainly (let's say about 90% certain) would have been a devout Muslim now.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
What if you were born 3000yrs ago?
Then I wouldn't be here today. 🙂

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by FMF
I think you are attributing the nature of your certainty incorrectly. The Jesus factor is a merely a detail. Your rather odd response proves my point, I think. Bearing in mind what seems to make you tick, we can pretty safely say that if you had been born here in Java, Indonesia, you almost certainly (let's say about 90% certain) would have been a devout Muslim now.
You are complicating this unnecessarily.

God knew me from before creation. He devised a plan whereby when I heard of it I would believe and then trust, and then through faith be conformed to the image of Christ.

Christ is the focal point in God's plan of redemption for all mankind. It is the truth and the only way to God. All other belief is a deception. Any other idea that contradicts that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life is a lie.

Very narrow. I understand that. But it is the truth just the same.

F

Moves
10 Jul 10
1 edit

I am not. I am simply saying that, in view of your mindset and your undisguised spiritual needs, if you had been born where I currently live - which is Indonesia - although there are many Christians here - you would almost certainly have turned out to be a devout Muslim. I don't think this is controversial. Many devout Muslims, like you, also believe that "All other belief is a deception".

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
10 Jul 10

God knew me from before creation. He devised a plan whereby when I heard of it I would believe and then trust, and then through faith be conformed to the image of Christ.

Christ is the focal point in God's plan of redemption for all mankind. It is the truth and the only way to God. All other belief is a deceptio ...[text shortened]... h, and the life is a lie.

Very narrow. I understand that. But it is the truth just the same.
MAYBE its one truth. MAYBE its your truth. Good on you.
But what you are basically saying is that ALL people who came before Jesus were going str8 to hell. Right? (Nevermind the rest of humanity who may have not come in contact with the bible, or found something better)

God devised a plan for me to be sent back to this time to help liberate the planet from oppression , usher in the light and learn my lessons.
Jesus' words just confirm this for me. I have no beef with him. His followers though often seem threatened and unwilling to converse with me about spiritual matters.

g

Moves
10 Jul 10

New member here.

For me at least, when I chose Christianity, more specifically, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I had a strong feeling in my heart I was making the right choice. It was also due to the many experiences I have had in my life. This was not a decision I made lightly. I gave my decision some thought and prayed about it. I was Agnostic at the time and was not used to praying. That was about 20 years ago. I look back on the decision I made then and can say with confidence I have never regretted my decision.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by gtbiking4life
New member here.

For me at least, when I chose Christianity, more specifically, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I had a strong feeling in my heart I was making the right choice. It was also due to the many experiences I have had in my life. This was not a decision I made lightly. I gave my decision some thought and prayed about it. ...[text shortened]... back on the decision I made then and can say with confidence I have never regretted my decision.
Welcome dude, a refreshingly open attitude for a change!

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Jul 10

Originally posted by FMF
I am not. I am simply saying that, in view of your mindset and your undisguised spiritual needs, if you had been born where I currently live - which is Indonesia - although there are many Christians here - you would almost certainly have turned out to be a devout Muslim. I don't think this is controversial. Many devout Muslims, like you, also believe that "All other belief is a deception".
So are you straddling the fence between the two belief systems or have you chosen the third option?

...in view of your mindset and your undisguised spiritual needs,.."

I am wondering why you made this statement.

If, in fact what I believe is 'the truth', and you don't share this belief, then, based on the tenants of this faith you lack the capacity to understand what my mindset is.

Do not read that as though I mean to insult your intelligence or ability to understand. All I mean is that if I am right, then the spirit of God is in me, due to, and based upon my response to His plan of salvation, which is trust in what Jesus did at the cross on the believers behalf. Therefor, if you do not share this belief, and I am right, you do not know what my mindset is.