Difficulty on Noah's Flood?

Difficulty on Noah's Flood?

Spirituality

F

Moves
24 Jul 16

Originally posted by chaney3
Casting all known religions and gods aside, both you and Ghost cannot find anything in the universe, including earth and human existence which is NOT an accident? No wiggle room at all for a Creator of some kind?
I'm talking to Christians about their theology which is based on their claims about a revelation of God supposedly through ancient Hebrew texts and claims they make about the significance (and divinity) of Jesus.

To me all this has little or perhaps nothing to do with "the universe, including earth and human existence" other than it reflects that they just so happen to have settled for the ideological-dogma-mythology package propagated by one of the world's major retail religions.

F

Moves
24 Jul 16

No wiggle room at all for a Creator of some kind?
I have answered variants of this question, posed directly to me by you, in posts I have addressed directly to you, and I have done so several times, and as far as I remember, you have simply ignored it every single time. I think on one occasion you started a whole thread to ask me the question and I answered it immediately and in full, and you just ignored it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

c

Moves
24 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
I have answered variants of this question, posed directly to me by you, in posts I have addressed directly to you, and I have done so several times, and as far as I remember, you have simply ignored it every single time. I think on one occasion you started a whole thread to ask me the question and I answered it immediately and in full, and you just ignored it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't remember. If I did, I would not have asked today.
No big deal.

F

Moves
24 Jul 16
1 edit

I don't remember. If I did, I would not have asked today.
No big deal.
Of course it's no big deal. It happened back when you were being personally abusive all the time. You don't come across as a poster genuinely interested in anything. 😉

c

Moves
24 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
Of course it's no big deal. It happened back when you were being personally abusive all the time. You don't come across as a poster genuinely interested in anything. 😉
Creator?.....or accident?
I'm interested today. 😉

F

Moves
24 Jul 16

I'm interested today. 😉
Go look up the thread you started about it in which I gave you a full and frank answer.

Moves
24 Jul 16

Casting all known religions and gods aside, both you and Ghost cannot find anything in the universe, including earth and human existence which is NOT an accident? No wiggle room at all for a Creator of some kind?
As an atheist, I don't have my hands over my eyes or plugging my ears. I would actually rather like to believe that God exists and that he created everything. Currently however, the evidence doesn't support such a supposition. (I also don't believe 'everything' is an accident).

Am surprised to hear though that you are 'casting all known religions and gods aside."

😏

Starmer is a liar

More in my profile

Moves
24 Jul 16

I'm interested today. 😉
Have you yet decided whether have ever been a Christian, or not?

c

Moves
24 Jul 16

Originally posted by divegeester
Have you yet decided whether have ever been a Christian, or not?
Hey Dive, we've discussed this before. And the new rule, according to His Majesty FMF, is for you to review past threads.
Sorry, I would like to have answered.

c

Moves
24 Jul 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
As an atheist, I don't have my hands over my eyes or plugging my ears. I would actually rather like to believe that God exists and that he created everything. Currently however, the evidence doesn't support such a supposition. (I also don't believe 'everything' is an accident).

Am surprised to hear though that you are 'casting all known religions and gods aside."

😏
Is there anything, to you, that science or your own reasoning cannot adequately expain?

Moves
24 Jul 16

Is there anything, to you, that science or your own reasoning cannot adequately expain?
Of course. But that doesn't have me grasping for the supernatural.

For example, I can not adequately explain how the universe came into existence. But this gap in my knowledge doesn't have me try and plug it with someone else's fairy tale.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Jul 16

Originally posted by FMF
I think this is complete nonsense and I also think it is driven by your ideology's need for it to be so.
My ideology "needs" nothing. It simply is what it is.

Perhaps stating that my ideology "needs" something is your ideology.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
24 Jul 16

Choices, in this context, are indeed based on evidence. (For me anyway).
Does your evidence need to be peer-reviewed or is your take on it enough?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Jul 16

I agree that 'people CAN "choose" to believe something that they did not previously believe.' However, for most people, myself among them, choosing to adopt a new belief is only possible if there is sufficient reason and evidence to underpin such a change of belief.

On this basis, I could choose to believe Ben Affleck was a good actor after all, i ...[text shortened]... in the existence of God, as I haven't been presented with anything that convinces me He exists.
This is well and good, because we all know that faith is not based on "proof" and no one can fault you for not having faith if your prerequisite is "having proof". If you cannot believe without proof, then you are confining yourself to never believe. Perhaps one day, you'll "decide" that you don't really need proof in order to believe and so then your belief might be considered a matter of "choice".

I agree that choosing to believe is the end game of a long process of introspection and evaluation. But eventually, a choice is made. But this doesn't even mean your choice cannot be recalled and reformed later. Many people come to a crossroads in their faith due to life experience, but it all comes down to the choice to allow oneself to see change as a reformation and a renaissance and not a denial or a repudiation.

F

Moves
24 Jul 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
My ideology "needs" nothing. It simply is what it is.

Perhaps stating that my ideology "needs" something is your ideology.
The ideology of immortality that I have heard you propagate is that all that one has to do to be "saved" - and thus go on to an "afterlife" - is to "decide" or "choose" to believe in Jesus.

This is absolutely central to the notion of "salvation" that people like you, Grampy Bobby and sonship put forward here week in week out.

However, in reality, people come to believe such a thing or they don't. People will realize they believe it's true or they will realize that they don't believe it's true. It is not something they can "decide" or "choose".

Assertions that hold that they can, I think, are rooted in a bogus claim about the nature of belief and the reality of the process of arriving at beliefs, and yet they are central to your theory [that is to say your ideology] of "salvation".

Without this piece of ideology - i.e. the idea that being a Christian [and therefore "saved"] is simply a matter of "choice" - your claims about what a supernatural being, [who supposedly wants everyone to be "saved"] requires of humans, simply sounds like it does not really make any psychological or moral sense.

That's why I think your assertion that belief is a choice is driven by your ideology's need for it to be so and not by the actual nature of belief or how we arrive at belief or disbelief.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.