Creation AND Evolution?

Spirituality

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Aug 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
Natural selection is responsible for the "direction." You should really read a bit about natural selection.

What surprises me is that this topic apparently interests you, yet never in your life have you taken a few minutes to find out what the theory of evolution actually says. Are you scared that understanding it might shake your beliefs?
You think natural selection causes specific mutations to occur, directing them, or do you
think it allows what occurs to be filtered out by natural selection after the mutation occurs?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Aug 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Christianity has a long history of 'absorbing' perceived threats (pagan practices and the like) and I think Kelly has been trying to do the same thing with evolution. So, perhaps it is less him being 'scared that understanding it might shake (his) beliefs' and more that it is easier to absorb a watered down version of evolution. Therefore, having a deeper and more thorough understanding of evolution is not in his interest.
I believe in evolution, not however a common ancestor for a huge host of reasons.

The Ship's Cat

Moves
07 Aug 18

Originally posted by @kellyjay
I believe in evolution, not however a common ancestor for a huge host of reasons.
So you say sir, but are not Adam and Eve your 'common ancestors?'

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Aug 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
So you say sir, but are not Adam and Eve your 'common ancestors?'
Yes, but rose bushes, jellyfish, eagles, cats, grass, and all other life forms did not come from them.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Aug 18

You think natural selection causes specific mutations to occur, directing them, or do you
think it allows what occurs to be filtered out by natural selection after the mutation occurs?
Again, if you don't know what natural selection is, I suggest you look it up. If you have any specific questions about how it works, I am happy to help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

K

Germany

Moves
07 Aug 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Would you describe natural selection as an intelligent system or not?
Would you describe electromagnetism as an intelligent system or not?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Aug 18

Again, if you don't know what natural selection is, I suggest you look it up. If you have any specific questions about how it works, I am happy to help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection
If you would just answer my question would be helpful, the give and take within a conversation I am looking for.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Aug 18

If you would just answer my question would be helpful, the give and take within a conversation I am looking for.
You're asking me what natural selection is, but you can look that up quite easily. Try the link I provided.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Aug 18
1 edit

You're asking me what natural selection is, but you can look that up quite easily. Try the link I provided.
No that was not what I asked. I’m interested in how you see the sequence of events taking place.

Moves
07 Aug 18

Would you describe electromagnetism as an intelligent system or not?
Your dodge is noted.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Aug 18

No that was not what I asked. I’m interested in how you see the sequence of events taking place.
But you'd already know the answer to your question about the "sequence of events" if you knew what natural selection is. That's why I am advising you to look it up.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Aug 18

But you'd already know the answer to your question about the "sequence of events" if you knew what natural selection is. That's why I am advising you to look it up.
Okay I stop asking you your opinion.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Aug 18

Okay I stop asking you your opinion.
You already know my "opinion," which is that natural selection occurs.

If you want to know what that is, look it up.

The Ship's Cat

Moves
07 Aug 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Your dodge is noted.
Your lack of knowledge on this topic is noted.

The Ship's Cat

Moves
07 Aug 18

Yes, but rose bushes, jellyfish, eagles, cats, grass, and all other life forms did not come from them.
Humans have evolved significantly over the last 1-2 million years (from Homo erectus to Homo sapiens).

How does the Adam and Eve narrative possibly fit it into this process? - I am told repeatedly by Christians that I shouldn't cherry pick from the Bible. Sorry Kelly, but the same goes for evolution.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.