Atheist vs. Agnostic

Atheist vs. Agnostic

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
29 Jun 07
2 edits

Originally posted by scottishinnz
It is bloody stupid when your own definition isn't internally consistent, as I showed you all those pages ago....
You mean when you attempted to show something? lol. You only 'showed' that it wasn't consistent with some ill-conceived notions that you have.

The truly sad thing is that you actually seem to believe that you're some kind of authority on this subject when you appear to understand so little. College kid or not far removed, right? As you go through life you'll come to understand how little you know right now about anything.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
29 Jun 07

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
You mean when you attempted to show something? lol. You only 'showed' that it wasn't consistent with some ill-conceived notions that you have.

The truly sad thing is that you actually seem to believe that you're some kind of authority on this subject when you appear to understand so little. College kid or not far removed, right? As you go through life you'll come to understand how little you know right now about anything.
No, Research Scientist would be closer.

I fully understand the difference between empirical evidence (none for God) and belief (all there can ever be). Thus a theist or atheist can never be so based on positive evidence for God, (but positive evidence against God is a different story) since there isn't any.

Theists always come with the "the universe is evidence" rubbish, but that doesn't stand up, or we'd all be theists, heck, I'd probably be at the forefront. So you can only ever BELIEVE in God, evidence does not factor into it. At the end of the day, we don't really know how the universe got here, which could "imply" any number of imaginary creations of your choice.

However, the bible clearly states the properties of God. These are testable. For example, current Christian doctorine states God to be omnipotent and omnibenevolent. Thus, there should be no suffering in the world, such a being could not allow it and, having the power to do so, would. This is strike one, (of many) against God.

Cape Town

Moves
29 Jun 07

The current dictionary meanings seem to break it down like this:
Theist - Those who affirm the existence of God.
Atheist - Those who deny the existence of God.
Agnostic - Those who neither affirm nor deny the existence of God.
The problem is your Agnostic category includes to very different groups.
1. Those who have thought about it and specifically state that they either don't know whether God exists or even believe that they cannot know.
2. Those that have never heard of the God concept or have not even thought about it. Eg babies.
A number of people hear feel that 2. fits better when grouped with the Atheists.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
29 Jun 07

You know, you missed a "n" in your name....

T

Moves
29 Jun 07

No, Research Scientist would be closer.

I fully understand the difference between empirical evidence (none for God) and belief (all there can ever be). Thus a theist or atheist can never be so based on positive evidence for God, (but positive evidence against God is a different story) since there isn't any.

Theists always come with the "the unive ...[text shortened]... w it and, having the power to do so, would. This is strike one, (of many) against God.
But a Research Scientist that isn't far removed from university. Sorry, but it shows.

Why in your mind is current Chrisian doctorine the final authority on the properties of God?

T

Moves
29 Jun 07
4 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
The problem is your Agnostic category includes to very different groups.
1. Those who have thought about it and specifically state that they either don't know whether God exists or even believe that they cannot know.
2. Those that have never heard of the God concept or have not even thought about it. Eg babies.
A number of people hear feel that 2. fits better when grouped with the Atheists.
I don't understand why this is a 'problem', but it seems that an Atheist category that includes "2" might suffer from a similar problem.

If a number of people here feel that "2" fits better when grouped with Athiests, that's fine. But it doesn't make using the currently accepted dictionary definitions "wrong".

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Jun 07

However, the bible clearly states the properties of God.
Does it state them clearly or are they inferred...?

Cape Town

Moves
29 Jun 07

If a number of people here feel that "2" fits better when grouped with Athiests, that's fine. But it doesn't make using the currently accepted dictionary definitions "wrong".
But which dictionary? You are pretending that there is such a thing as a universal dictionary.

From Merriam Webster:
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something .

clearly my "2" is not included in this definition of agnostic.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Jun 07

But which dictionary? You are pretending that there is such a thing as a universal dictionary.
That would be the sum of all dictionaries, wouldn't it.

T

Moves
29 Jun 07

From Merriam Webster:
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person unwilling t ...[text shortened]... an opinion about something .

clearly my "2" is not included in this definition of agnostic.
Sure, there may be differences between dictionaries, but the dictionaries that I've checked thus far seem to be reasonably consistent in theme.

I'm not so sure that your "2" is not included in the second part of the first definition.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
30 Jun 07

But a Research Scientist that isn't far removed from university. Sorry, but it shows.

Why in your mind is current Chrisian doctorine the final authority on the properties of God?
1) Yes, a good education always shows. But hey, feel free to wallow in your ignorance.

2) What else is there? Would you prefer I use Christian doctorine from 1000 years in the future.

T

Moves
30 Jun 07

1) Yes, a good education always shows. But hey, feel free to wallow in your ignorance.

2) What else is there? Would you prefer I use Christian doctorine from 1000 years in the future.
1) What shows is that you've yet to come to the realization of how limited and limiting your academic training is.

2) God is what it is, if it is. Current Christian doctorine doesn't necessarily reflect an accurate picture of God.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
01 Jul 07

1) What shows is that you've yet to come to the realization of how limited and limiting your academic training is.

2) God is what it is, if it is. Current Christian doctorine doesn't necessarily reflect an accurate picture of God.
Oh, and you think you're so smart, right? Well, I'm not going to roll around in the mud like a pig with you.

They say you should never debate a fool, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. You've yet to show any sort of coherent thinking, insulting people who disagree with you doesn't count.

T

Moves
01 Jul 07
1 edit

Oh, and you think you're so smart, right? Well, I'm not going to roll around in the mud like a pig with you.

They say you should never debate a fool, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. You've yet to show any sort of coherent thinking, insulting people who disagree with you doesn't count.
How quaint.

So how would you characterize someone who begins a refutation of God with the premise that current Christian doctorine is the final authority on the properties of God?

I'm sure your academic training has taught you much. However, you've yet to acquire the wisdom required to formulate a sound understanding. Perhaps that's what you find so disconcerting.

S

Moves
01 Jul 07

You bloody hypocrite. You're quite happy to attack people challenging dictionary definitions, but you have no problem challenging the accepted Christian definition of God?