Limited Recs

Limited Recs

Site Ideas

d

Riding the Atom Bomb

Moves
12 Jun 05

This doesnt really concern me because i cant give out any recommendations, but i heard others say they were being abused. Wouldnt recs mean something, be worth something, if they were limited?

(Not my idea, someone else's)

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
12 Jun 05

Originally posted by dale21
This doesnt really concern me because i cant give out any recommendations, but i heard others say they were being abused. Wouldnt recs mean something, be worth something, if they were limited?

I fully support a limited amount of recs. They have become almost completely useless as of late. I myself have 190 someodd recs, and in my year here I've only written maybe one or two decent posts, so it's obvious they mean little.

CS

Moves
12 Jun 05

I support it too. It's very misused but a limit on the number of recs you can issue can be a step toward solving this problem.

In your face

Moves
12 Jun 05

Originally posted by dale21

This post got two recs. I like the irony. 😛

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
12 Jun 05

Originally posted by Chess Slayer
I support it too. It's very misused but a limit on the number of recs you can issue can be a step toward solving this problem.
i think the queestion is: what is the best way to limit them?

should it be impossible to make a rec for 1 hour after last making one?

should some people be able to make more recs than others?

but it is not a big problem : shavixmir has the heaps of recs ... and that is the way it should be ...

d

Riding the Atom Bomb

Moves
13 Jun 05

Ha Ha .The fact that people have rec'ed this thread suggests i may be right.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
13 Jun 05

I'd be OK with the idea of limited recs.
Most posters would get the same proportion of recs they do now, so it wouldn't be a hardship to those that do enjoy getting recs.
Maybe it would stop useless recs, maybe not, but I think it's worth a try.
Some thought needs to be taken on how to implement this, i.e. so many recs given per week, an hour between giving recs or whatever.
I'm neutral on recs, on one hand it's rewarding to get them if I feel I've posted something good, on the other hand I'm puzzled at some recs I've received.

TP
Leak-Proof

under the sink

Moves
13 Jun 05

Here's a thought:

Is it possible for Recommended Posts to have a list at the bottom indicating who recommended the post?

penguinpuffin

finsbury

Moves
13 Jun 05

Originally posted by The Plumber
Here's a thought:

Is it possible for Recommended Posts to have a list at the bottom indicating who recommended the post?

that's a great idea
stop people announcing it when they give a rec (soooo annoying)
it gets my rec

a

omnipresent

Moves
13 Jun 05

yes, please limit them... How about a "rec bank"? As in I have 50 recs, so I can rec 50 people. For each time I rec someone, one rec gets deducted from my count, and each time someone recs me, one gets added. We could even have a "rec total" and rec "current" stat so you can see how many total recs someone got without deducting the ones he's given.
That way, people would only rec really good posts, since there's a limited number of recs available 😀

w
Jo

Moving on...

Moves
13 Jun 05

i propose that recs are scrapped altogether.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
13 Jun 05

Originally posted by wucky3
i propose that recs are scrapped altogether.
why not just highlight the hot threads instead - i.e. those with most activity in terms of views / replies. That way we can all see where dapardies at...

T

Moves
13 Jun 05

Originally posted by angie88
...For each time I rec someone, one rec gets deducted from my count, and each time someone recs me, one gets added...
Queue rec gangs aplenty: you rec me and I'll rec you.
Insestious recs were bad enough with padft, the wolf pack etc.
Let's not encourage that behaviour.

TP
Leak-Proof

under the sink

Moves
13 Jun 05

Originally posted by angie88
yes, please limit them... How about a "rec bank"? As in I have 50 recs, so I can rec 50 people. For each time I rec someone, one rec gets deducted from my count, and each time someone recs me, one gets added. We could even have a "rec total" and rec "current" stat so you can see how many total recs someone got without deducting the ones he's given.
T ...[text shortened]... y, people would only rec really good posts, since there's a limited number of recs available 😀
Yesssss - we'll have a rectometer to keep track of it all, and call it the rec'tum for short....😀

d

Riding the Atom Bomb

Moves
13 Jun 05

How about just 2 recs each day? is that too little?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.